These rhubarb muffins with buttermilk turn out wonderfully fluffy and moist. The recipe is easy and quick to make!
Spring is here, and this recipe will get you in the mood! Really quick to make and absolutely delicious: these moist muffins with rhubarb and almonds result in a culinary spring fever!
Taste and Occasion
My rhubarb muffins are just right for spring: slightly tart, yet pleasant and sweet, very moist, and through the almond topping also with a kind of crunchy effect. And - another highlight: you can prepare the rhubarb muffins with buttermilk very quickly!
I still remember how we used to eat rhubarb pure in kindergarten, preferably pulled off thread by thread. Brrr 😉 ! Times have luckily changed and nowadays, I definitely prefer rhubarb in delicious muffins. Or as an alternative, as part of my rhubarb crumble sheet cake or the classic cake with meringue. In combination with a moist dough, the green-red stalks are at their best.
I think rhubarb, in particular, harmonizes very well with almonds. That's why I have modified my basic muffin recipe a little bit. In addition to the standard ingredients – flour, butter, sugar, milk and rising agents – I add ground almonds, bitter almond oil and almond slivers. The result was heavenly! By the way, whether you make the rhubarb muffins with buttermilk or another tart (!) dairy product like curd or yogurt doesn't matter much.
This spring muffin recipe is straightforward and sure to succeed! And perfect while caring for toddlers, making an important phone call and baking simultaneously. In Covid times nevertheless, unfortunately often necessary. When enjoying my muffins, however, the annoyance is gone anyway 🙂.
How to make the Rhubarb Muffins with Buttermilk
Let's begin with this fantastic spring recipe: Start with preheating your oven to 360°F/180°C. Then, clean the rhubarb, wash, peel if necessary and cut into small pieces. Now, whisk the eggs, melted butter and buttermilk, and, if desired, bitter almond oil. After that, it's time to mix flour, almonds, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda together in a second bowl.
Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix everything together briefly but vigorously. Fold in about three-quarters of the rhubarb pieces.
Next step: Pour the dough into muffin cups, place them on a muffin tray and spread the remaining rhubarb pieces and a few almond slivers on top. Press them in lightly and bake your muffins for 20-25 minutes. Now you can absolutely enjoy them!
It is also possible to make the rhubarb muffins with oil; for tips, please read through my basic muffins recipe and the guide for replacing ingredients. When I recently baked for this post, everything that could go wrong DID go wrong. For example, the butter exploded while melting in the microwave, and the bag of almond slivers scattered on the floor. It was definitely not the rhubarb muffins' fault but the baker's. So actually my fault 😉 .
Rhubarb Muffins with Buttermilk
For the dough
- 2 eggs, medium
- 110 grams (½ cup) butter, liquid
- 200 grams (⅘ cup) buttermilk
- 120 grams (1 cups) wheat flour
- 100 grams (1 cup) ground almonds, blanched
- 110 grams (⅔ cup) sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 drops bitter almond oil, optional
To fold in
- 200 grams (1 ⅔ cups) rhubarb, cleaned weighed out
- almond slivers, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 360°F/180°C. Clean the rhubarb, wash, peel if necessary and cut into small pieces.
- Whisk eggs, melted butter and buttermilk and, if desired, bitter almond oil. Mix flour, almonds, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a second bowl.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix everything together briefly but vigorously. Fold in about three-quarters of the rhubarb pieces.
- Pour the dough into muffin cups and place on a muffin tray. Spread the remaining rhubarb pieces and a few almond slivers on top and press them in lightly. Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes.
Looking for more great spring recipes? How about the strawberry pudding cake or the cherry cake? On my blog, you will find in each section lots of recipes for the warmer days of the year - whether cakes, snacks, brownies or more!