Fluffy, moist, refreshing: this low-fat sugar-free lemon cake is the perfect summer cake for those who like to snack calorie-consciously!
Hello everyone! Today's recipe for is a sugar-free, low-calorie and low-fat lemon cake, that is still super delicious and recommended. Have fun with the re-baking!
Taste and Occasion
Well, you can't probably compare this low-calorie lemon cake with the "normal" version. But, after all, it is a lemon cake without sugar and fat (the latter can be neglected on the complete recipe anyway).
I especially like the fluffy and yet compact consistency. The lemon intensity is just perfect for me. The light yogurt frosting gives the slender lemon cake an excellent finish. Only the very light color is a bit unusual. Regular lemon cakes, like this classic one, look rather yellowish.
Because my healthy lemon cake recipe is complete without egg yolk, margarine and (in the oven browning) household sugar, the cake remains as good as white. Looks delicious anyway, right 😉 …?
Crispy crumbles and a fluffy yeast dough with a thin layer of cream in between: The perfect, easy crumb cake from the baking sheet!
Instead of masses of sugar, butter and eggs, the dough includes low-fat Greek yogurt, beaten egg whites and xylitol or erythritol. The result is amazingly delicious 😉 !
Very important for the low-fat sugar-free lemon cake: Be sure to use freshly squeezed lemon juice as well as freshly grated lemon zest! The difference in taste compared to ready-made products is incredible. Especially since the packaged lemon juice or zest often contains other ingredients than "pure" lemon.
To make the lemon cake low-fat and still good, you need low-fat Greek yogurt. It's pretty compact and not comparable to regular low-fat yogurt, which is slightly watery in places. I always buy the one from Fage with 0.2% fat. Possibly the recipe also works with Skyr or something comparable.
How to make the Low-Fat Sugar-Free Lemon Cake
Let's get started with this fruity and healthy cake. First of all, preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C, line a small springform pan with baking paper or lightly grease and dust with flour. Beat the egg whites with the salt until stiff and set aside.
This delicious German butter cake with almonds is a popular sheet cake classic without much effort. The cream icing makes it exceptionally moist.
Now, whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice, milk and melted butter. In another bowl, combine flour. After that, mix baking powder, baking soda, lemon zest and sweetener and add them to the liquid ingredients. Stir in briefly but vigorously.
Finally, fold in the beaten egg whites. In the end, pour batter into pan, smooth out and bake the cake for 25-35 minutes. It will remain very light white. Let cool and spread with frosting. For this, mix the yogurt with lemon juice and sweetener to taste.
To sweeten the light lemon yogurt cake, I advise you to use a mixture of xylitol and erythritol. If you only use erythritol or xylitol, you might get a too cool aftertaste or digestive problems 😉
Low-Fat Sugar-Free Lemon Cake
- Small Springform Pan (8 in/20 cm)
For the dough
- 2 egg whites, medium
- 1 pinch salt
- 150 grams (¾ cup) Greek yogurt 0.2% fat, e.g. from Fage
- 80 milliliters (⅓ cups) freshly squeezed lemon juice, from about 2 lemons
- 100 milliliters (7 tablespoons) milk
- 25 grams (2 tablespoons) melted butter, alternatively oil
- 200 grams (1 ½ cups) wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- grated lemon peel of one organic lemon
- 50 grams (6 tablespoons) xylitol
- 50 grams (⅓ cups) erythritol
For the frosting
- 200 grams (1 cups) Greek yogurt 0.2% fat, e.g. from Fage
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, or xylitol/erythritol, amount to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C. Line a small springform pan with baking paper or lightly grease and dust with flour. Beat the egg whites with the salt until stiff. Set aside.
- Whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice, milk and melted butter. In another bowl, combine flour. Mix baking powder, baking soda, lemon zest and sweetener. Add to the liquid ingredients and stir in briefly but vigorously. Finally, fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Pour batter into pan, smooth out and bake the cake for 25-35 minutes. It will remain very light white. Let cool and spread with frosting. For this, mix yogurt with lemon juice and sweetener to taste.
German Bee Sting Cake
Deliciously moist Gluten-Free Lemon Cake with Almonds
Low-Fat Moist Carrot Cake
Low Carb Cheesecake: Cheesecake without sugar
Rhubarb Cake with Meringue Topping
Wonderfully moist Vegan Lemon Cake without Eggs, Butter or Milk
Vegan Banana Cake (and sugar-free)