Delicious recipe for a moist rhubarb crumble sheet cake. Grandma's rhubarb cake is simply the best during spring!
Hi all! Let's celebrate the rhubarb season with a tasty rhubarb crumble sheet cake.
Taste and Occasion
What a combination: In this rhubarb crumble sheet cake, everything fits together easily. Because the slightly tart, refreshing rhubarb perfectly harmonizes with the lush, moist sponge and the crunchy almond crumbles. One of our favorite spring cakes 🙂
This rhubarb crumble cake recipe is so simple: Sponge cake, crumble topping: I would say more or less basic recipes.
Nevertheless, grandma's rhubarb sheet cake is not boring at all. It melts in your mouth. It tastes very subtly of almonds. And for those who like this wonderful aroma even more intense, I have packed a great alternative in the Variations: a rhubarb cake with Amaretti. This makes the recipe unbeatable.
By the way, you can easily prepare the rhubarb crumble cake the day before and it stays wonderfully fresh and moist.
How to make the Rhubarb Crumble Sheet Cake
Let's get started! First of all, prepare the crumbles: Knead the finely chopped cold butter with the other ingredients briefly with your hands and form into crumbles. Then, place in the refrigerator.
Now, go on with cleaning, washing and peeling the rhubarb stalks. Roughly cut them into 0.4-0.8 in/1-2 cm pieces. After that, line a baking sheet with baking paper or grease and dust with flour. Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C.
For the dough, beat the soft butter with the sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one by one. At the end, stir in the flour mixed with the baking powder and salt, alternating with the milk. The dough should fall from the spoon with difficulty tearing.
Spread the dough on the baking sheet, smooth it out and lightly press the rhubarb pieces into it.
A basic cookie dough recipe for the whole family, these shortbread cookie cutters are a Christmas baking classic for a good reason!
Last but not least: Spread the crumbles on the cake and bake it for about 40-45 minutes.
Because the rhubarb season is unfortunately very short, you should not leave yourself too much time with this recipe 😉.
Rhubarb Crumble Sheet Cake
- Baking Sheet
For the crumble
- 125 grams (⅔ cup) cold butter, in pieces
- 125 grams (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 80 grams (¾ cup) ground almonds, Amaretti alternative see notes
- 70 grams (⅓ cup) sugar
- 700 grams (5 ¾ cups) rhubarb
For the dough
- 250 grams (1 cup) butter, soft
- 180 grams (1 cup) sugar
- 4 eggs, medium
- 400 grams (3 ¼ cups) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 120 milliliters (½ cup) milk, coarse
- First prepare the crumbles: Knead the finely chopped cold butter with the other ingredients briefly with your hands and form into crumbles. Place in the refrigerator.
- Clean, wash and peel the rhubarb stalks and roughly cut them into 0.4-0.8 in/1-2 cm pieces. Line a baking sheet with baking paper or grease and dust with flour. Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C.
- For the dough, beat the soft butter with the sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one by one. Finally, stir in the flour mixed with the baking powder and salt, alternating with the milk. The dough should fall from the spoon with difficulty tearing.
- Spread the dough on the baking sheet, smooth it out, lightly press the rhubarb pieces into it and lastly spread the crumbles on the cake. Bake for about 40-45 minutes.
- Alternative with Amaretti: The rhubarb sheet cake is especially delicious with Amarettini crumbles instead of normal almond crumbles. Replace the ground almonds and sugar with 80 grams of soft amaretti, coarsely crumbled, and 30 grams of vanilla sugar.
We like to eat Italian Amaretti morbidi and therefore always have a small stock at home 😉 . So why not make the cookies (which, by the way, you can also bake yourself) into crumbles? Especially those who like marzipan will love the rhubarb cake with Amarettini crumbles. And everyone else just makes the classic rhubarb sheet cake with almonds.
So: fancy some delicious rhubarb cake with crumbles? Then get to the food processor! As I said, I can also recommend my alternative to you in addition to the basic recipe. During rhubarb season, you should definitely also try my delicious rhubarb meringue pie!
Apple Crumble with Oats
Easy and Quick Summer Fruit Cake
Homemade Cherry Cake with Crumbles
Rhubarb Cake with Meringue Topping
German Poppy Seed Cake with Streusel
Rhubarb Muffins with Buttermilk
Shortbread Cookies, a Scottish Classic