This quick cherry cake with crumbles from the baking sheet is simple, fruity, crispy and wonderfully moist.
This juicy streusel cherry cake from the sheet is once again a great baking recipe from grandma's collection. Although the cake is anything but spectacular, we are always thrilled.
Especially by the consistency: The cherry pie dough is moist and soft, the delicious butter crumbles melt in your mouth.
Taste and Occasion
When you look at the recipe, you'll notice that it's actually a regular cherry pie made from sponge dough - but somehow it still tastes much better than others. It's just a special cherry pie like grandma used to make.
She dug out the crumble cherry pie recipe from the depths of her huge baking recipe collection just a few years ago. And was thrilled. She had been looking for such a moist, comparatively "compact" and firm cake for decades, to tell the truth.
Ever since she had eaten it in a café during a North Sea vacation a long time ago. So there it was: a quick cherry cake with crumbles, which seems anything but extraordinary, but tastes soooooo delicious!
If you have an extra deep tray, you can of course bake the quick cherry cake with crumbles directly in it. Do you also have such "unspectacular" recipes like for this cherry pie with butter crumbles, which are extremely simple, but always go down well?
And by the way: The cake does not only taste good with cherries. The original recipe is with plums, for example.
How to make the Cherry Cake
Let's get started with this delicious homemade cherry cake: First of all, preheat the oven to 360°F/180°C. Then, cover a baking tray with baking paper and, if necessary, border it with a baking frame or double-folded aluminum foil so that there is no flat edge.
Wash and pit the cherries or, if from a jar, drain them. First, prepare the crumbles. To do this, add the melted butter to the flour and sugar. First, knead with the dough hook or a fork, then crumble with your fingers into nice crumbles.
Cream the softened butter with the sugar. Stir in the eggs one at a time. Mix flour, starch, baking powder, lemon zest and salt. Stir in alternately with the milk to the batter. Use only enough milk until the batter falls from the spoon with difficulty tearing.
Now, spread the dough on a baking sheet and spread the cherries on top. Cover everything with the crumbles and bake the cake for about 35-40 minutes. Let it cool down and afterwards: Enjoy!
A basic cookie dough recipe for the whole family: These cut-out shortbread cookies are a classic of Christmas baking for good reason!
If you like, you can also bake the simple cherry crumble cake from the tray in a springform pan. For this, take a good half of the ingredients from the recipe.
Small tip: Especially for cakes like this, which should be rather high, I like to limit my tray with a baking frame or double-folded aluminum foil.
Delicious Homemade Cherry Cake
For the batter
- 250 grams (1 cup) butter , soft
- 180 grams (1 cup) sugar
- 5 eggs, medium-sized
- 300 grams (2 ½ cups) wheat flour
- 150 grams (1 ⅓ cups) cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 pinch salt
- 100 milliliters (½ cups) milk , coarse specification!
For the crumble
- 250 grams (2 cups) wheat flour
- 100 grams (½ cup) sugar
- 125 grams (⅔ cups) butter, liquid
- 800 grams (6 cups) cherries , or 500g drained from the jar
- Preheat the oven to 360°F/180°C. Cover a baking tray with baking paper and, if necessary, border it with a baking frame or double-folded aluminum foil so that there is no flat edge. Wash and pit the cherries or, if from a jar, drain them.
- First, prepare the crumble. To do this, add the melted butter to the flour and sugar. First, knead with the dough hook or a fork, then crumble with your fingers into nice crumbles.
- Cream the softened butter with the sugar. Stir in the eggs one at a time. Mix flour, starch, baking powder, lemon zest and salt. Stir in alternately with the milk to the batter. Use only enough milk until the batter falls from the spoon with difficulty tearing.
- Spread dough on a baking sheet. Spread cherries on top. Cover with the crumbles. Bake cake for about 35-40 minutes.
By the way, if you like baking with cherries, check out our other fruit cake recipes, you'll find many other inspirations for baking fruit cakes (not only from the tray). The easy and moist cherry cake with nuts or the strawberry pudding cake are also very delicious 😉
Homemade Cheese Shortbread Cookies
Pear Muffins with Crumbles
Tangerine Cheesecake Muffins
Best Strawberry Pudding Cake
Rhubarb Cake with Meringue Topping
German Christmas Stollen (Christstollen)
Easy and Quick Summer Fruit Cake
Apple pie from grandma
The Best Traditional French Crêpes
Wonderfully moist Vegan Lemon Cake without Eggs, Butter or Milk