Making your own fruit ice cream is not difficult. Whether with berries or banana: With this basic recipe without egg, it works!
With this easy basic fruit ice cream recipe, you are well prepared for the summer: Whether with berries or bananas, homemade fruit ice cream tastes always. Not only, but especially for small foodies 😉 Good that it is fruit ice cream without egg. So there is also no risk of salmonella.
Taste and Occasion
It really tastes so delicious that the portions like to be a little larger. The great thing about my basic fruit ice cream recipe is its versatility. And how quickly it can be prepared. The foundation: milk, cream, sugar. Plus, a fair amount of fruit. So unlike store-bought ice cream, which sometimes contains more dyes and flavors than actual fruit. My family is now a huge fan of this ice cream. Jan thinks it tastes like the original Italian fruit ice cream from the ice cream parlor. Our kids do not say much at all about the recipe but lick with pleasure for hours 🙂.
So, how do you make your own fruit ice cream? It's easy: just mix a basic mixture of finely pureed fruit, dairy products, and powdered sugar. Put it into the ice cream maker and wait. For us (I have the Kitchenaid Ice Cream Maker), it takes about 15 minutes until the ice cream is actually creamy. If you like it firmer, you can put the milk ice cream with fruit again in the freezer.
To make the ice cream creamy without egg, you need a binder. I recommend guar gum because you don't have to heat the ice cream mass first and then let it cool down again. Alternatively, carob bean gum is also suitable. Both are now available in most supermarkets and, of course, in health food stores or on the internet.
How to make the Basic Fruit Ice Cream
At first, allow frozen fruit to thaw and finely puree, e.g. with a food processor or stand mixer.Add all other ingredients and blend. Put the basic ice cream mixture into the ice cream maker and make creamy ice cream according to the manufacturer's instructions (for me, this takes about 20 minutes). Either enjoy the ice cream directly or put it in the freezer for another 2 hours to set. To store, place in a pre-cooled container with a lid in the freezer.
A few more fruit tips: Frozen berries are perfect. Since they are already prepared and cold, the strawberry fruit ice cream or raspberry ice cream is ready, incredibly quickly. For banana ice cream, mash half-ripe bananas into a fine purée. Mango ice cream is also delicious. There are almost no limits to your imagination.
Fruit Ice Cream (Basic Recipe)
- 300 grams (1 ⅓ cups) fruit, e.g. frozen raspberries
- 120 grams (1 cups) powdered sugar
- 10 grams (¾ tablespoons) glucose syrup
- 1 teaspoon guar gum, or locust bean gum
- 250 grams (1 cup) cream
- 200 grams (⅘ cup) whole milk
- Allow frozen fruit to thaw and finely puree, e.g. with a food processor or stand mixer.Add all other ingredients and blend. Put the basic ice cream mixture into the ice cream maker and make creamy ice cream according to the manufacturer's instructions (for me, this takes about 20 minutes).
- Either enjoy the ice cream directly or put it in the freezer for another 2 hours to set. To store, place in a pre-cooled container with a lid in the freezer.
- The best fruits to use are frozen fruits such as raspberries or strawberries. These only need to thaw slightly before pureeing. Since they are so cold, the ice cream will also be ready faster.
- Fresh fruit also works well. Cut this directly into small pieces and puree finely, e.g. mango or banana.
- With fruit such as currants, you should use a little more and pass the puree through a sieve. Weigh out 300g at the end.
- The glucose syrup results in a delicate melting but can also be omitted if necessary.
- The binding agent guar gum can be replaced by locust bean gum. For this, however, the complete ice cream mass must be boiled once and cooled again (in the refrigerator) before it can be put into the ice cream maker.
- Depending on the ice cream maker, the ice cream may be soft at first and need to be frozen again. Then let it thaw for about 10 minutes before eating.
- If you don't have an ice cream maker, put the ice cream in the freezer for at least 8 hours and mix well in between so that no ice crystals form.
If you like, you can refine the basic recipe with vanilla or cinnamon, for example. By the way, it is also possible to make the recipe without an ice cream maker. But it takes time. And you have to mix the mass every few hours. An alternative would be this 2-ingredient ice cream. You can find lots of ice cream recipes on this blog, for example the vegan version of the 2-ingredient ice cream.