There are many good reasons for such a moist lemon poppy seed cake. In winter it makes you feel like you're in summer, in summer it makes you feel refreshed, and the taste - well, it's guaranteed to get you a little excited 😉. Because in my lemon cake with poppy seeds, the citrus fruit can be found several times: enjoyment to the power of three!
So the dough is naturally (absolutely freshly grated) lemon zest and freshly squeezed lemon juice. The ready-made cake is soaked while still warm with lemon syrup. And the cake is topped with icing sugar glaze with lemon. Delightful! Because there are three times sugar in the lemon poppy seed cake recipe, I put rather little in the dough itself. So if you want to make the cake without syrup and icing - which I advise against … - definitely take more sugar.
There are several reasons why the lemon poppy seed cake is moist: firstly, of course, the already mentioned soaking with syrup. Also, I packed ground almonds in the recipe next to the flour. And it's a rather heavy sponge cake with plenty of butter and eggs 😉 Result: Delicious! The cake stays fresh for about 2 days. Just right to bring it to summer parties, garden parties, birthday parties and the like.
Originally I had planned to bake a cake according to a recipe for a long time. But like most of the time, there was something wrong with the templates. Way too much sugar anyway, cream double in the dough and and and and. So it became my very own version.
Much too much sugar anyway, cream double in the dough and and and and. So it became a very own variant.
Variants: Lemon poppy seed cake as a sheet cake
Well, a cake like that isn't witchcraft. But I wanted to make it especially moist and super lemon. Basically, you can refine every lemon cake with poppy seeds. This popular lemon cake recipe is suitable for a lemon poppy seed cake from the tin. You can also use the cake with yogurt as a base for a lemon poppy-seed cake. And in case it should be a little healthier, my fructose-poor lemon cake with rice syrup or the low-fat lemon cake without sugar also fit.
The following applies to all of them: freshly squeezed lemon juice and fresh lemon grime are definitely preferable to the convenience variants purchased. You'll notice the difference in taste - and in the future, you'll only want to bake with lemon baking or lemon juice from the bottle in absolute emergencies. Enjoy this summer week - perhaps with my moist lemon cake with poppy seeds?
Lemon cake with poppy seeds
- 100 gramm (0.5 cups) sugar
- 4 eggs, mid-sized
- 150 gramm (1.2 cups) flour
- 100 gramm (0.9 cups) ground almonds
- 1.5 teaspoon (1.5 teaspoon) baking powder
- 40 gramm (4.5 tablespoon) poppy seeds
- 1 lemon, thereof 4 tablespoons juice and grate
- 130 gramm (0.6 cups) butter, soft
- Grease a small springform pan or box pan and dust with flour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees top and bottom heat. Beat the soft butter with the sugar until frothy. Stir in the eggs well one by one.
- Mix flour with ground almonds and baking powder. Wash the lemon hot, rub off and squeeze. Add approx. 4 tablespoons juice to the dough. Add the lemon juice, lemon dust, flour mix and poppy seeds to the butter-egg mixture and stir in vigorously but briefly. Pour the dough into the tin, smooth down and bake for approx. 32-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, press out another lemon for the syrup and measure out approx. 50 ml of juice. Add sugar to a small pot and bring to the boil until the sugar has dissolved.
- Prick the finished cake while still warm on the surface several times with a shashlik skewer or similar. Spread the syrup over the warm cake.
- Allow the cake to cool. If desired, dust with icing sugar or decorate with lemon glaze. Sift the icing sugar with a little lemon juice, stir until smooth and spread over the cake.
Lemon cake with rice syrup
Easy Chocolate Sheet Cake
Tarte au citron: French lemon tart
Deliciously moist Gluten-Free Lemon Cake with Almonds
Wonderfully moist Vegan Lemon Cake without Eggs, Butter or Milk
German Poppy Seed Cake with Streusel