Very moist, fluffy and easy vegan lemon cake without eggs, butter and milk. Quick to make and so delicious - not only for vegans!
This moist sheet cake with lemon is a classic cake that is also suitable for beginners. Tastes super delicious, is baked quickly, and stays fresh for a long time.
Taste and Occasion
This vegan lemon cake has everything a typical sheet cake with lemons needs: it is super moist, fluffy, wonderfully sweet, and slightly tart. It has the typical powdered sugar icing. And yet the recipe without egg, butter, and milk is very different from the classic.
This lemon sheet cake is an excellent alternative for allergy sufferers, like the vegan nut cake or the vegan apple cake. Especially among children, unfortunately, some do not tolerate cow's milk and the like. With this lemon cake without milk, butter, and egg, they can feast like everyone else. And no one notices 🙂 … Also, if you have acute cake hunger but no eggs at home, you will like the easy lemon cake with oil instead of butter.
The best thing: If you want to bake the cake without egg, you don't need any unique ingredients. No artificial egg substitute, chia seeds, or particular vegan butter alternatives. Because the vegan lemon sheet cake is based on absolutely common ingredients. As a hobby baker, you actually have these ingredients at home anyway. To transform the famous lemon cake from the baking sheet into a vegan version, I followed the principle of the American wacky cakes. This wacky cake recipe tells you what this principle is all about. In a nutshell: The wacky cake on which this vegan lemon cake recipe is based, at least roughly, dates back to the Great Depression. Back then, it was hard to get ingredients like butter, or they were too expensive. So the fluffy lemon cake without egg or butter is only "accidentally" vegan, so to speak. And thus fits perfectly into today's times.
How to make the Vegan Lemon Cake
First of all, preheat the oven to 360°F/180°C and cover a small baking sheet with baking paper. Note: It is best to use an additional baking frame or place a baking frame on a large, regular baking sheet. The amount is enough for a 10*12 in / 25*30 cm square baking pan.
Continue with mixing all the dry ingredients except the sugar. Mix sugar, oil, milk(substitute), sparkling water, and lemon juice in a second bowl. Add the dry ingredients and mix everything just briefly but vigorously.
In the end, pour the dough into the prepared pan and smooth it out. Bake for about 20-25 minutes and you are ready with this vegan lemon cake!
The "secret" of the fluffy and moist consistency is a kind of chemical reaction: acid (in the form of lemon juice) results in the rising of a cake in combination with baking soda.
Vegan Lemon Cake
- 1 small baking sheet
- 450 grams (3 ⅔ cups) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 250 grams (1 ⅓ cups) sugar
- 180 milliliters (⅘ cup) sunflower oil
- 100 milliliters (⅖ cups) oat milk, or soy/rice milk
- 50 milliliters (3 ⅖ tablespoons) mineral water, sparkling
- 80 milliliters (⅓ cup) lemon juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- Preheat the oven to 360°F/180°C. Cover a small baking sheet with baking paper. It is best to use an additional baking frame. Or place a baking frame on a large, regular baking sheet. The amount is enough for a 10*12 in / 25*30 cm square baking pan.
- Mix all the dry ingredients except the sugar. Whisk together sugar, oil, milk(substitute), sparkling water, and lemon juice in a second bowl. Add dry ingredients. Mix everything just briefly but vigorously.
- Pour dough into the prepared pan and smooth out. Bake for about 20-25 minutes.
- If you like, coat the vegan lemon cake with icing. Depending on how thick you want the icing, sift about 180 grams of powdered sugar and mix with 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice or milk (substitute) to make a very thick icing. Spread on top of the cooled cake.
- For a full-size oven-size baking sheet, I would multiply the ingredients by about 1.3, otherwise, the cake will be too flat.
If you are craving lemon recipes, you can find delicious alternatives to vegan lemon sheet cake on this blog. Sometimes with yogurt, sometimes without gluten, and sometimes with poppy seeds. What is your favorite alternative? I look forward to your feedback on this fluffy lemon cake without egg 🙂 .