This chocolate caramel shortbread, known as millionaire's shortbread, is a great and delicious snack: Three layers of indulgence!
This chocolate caramel shortbread is a stunner in more ways than only one. Of course, the taste is the most important: When a buttery, crumbly dough base, a creamy caramel layer, and a bittersweet chocolate topping come together, only good things can come out of it - am I right?
Taste and Occasion
The finished shortbread with caramel and chocolate reminds me a little of Twix. Only in a better way. Admittedly, the millionaire's shortbread recipe is not healthy: If you count calories, you should definitely instead stick to crispbread 😉 . Plus, you need a little motivation to prepare it. I'm not even talking about it: Those three layers are quite elaborate to make. This should be clear. Whereas the glaze consists only of simple chocolate icing. Therefore, my chocolate-caramel shortbread is not complicated at all.
The dough is based on my simple shortbread recipe, for which I use semolina as a "secret ingredient" in addition to flour. For the caramel mass, there are different possibilities. The main ingredient in the original caramel shortbread recipe is sweetened condensed milk. Mine is based on caramel candies.
So for this easy millionaire's shortbread recipe, you'll need hard or soft caramels. Lots of caramels. Preparing the chocolate caramel shortbread bars is, therefore, quite meditative - the stoic unwrapping of the candy grounds you 😉 . The constant and even stirring of the caramel mass is also really calming….
There is a second alternative to make the millionaire's shortbread without condensed milk: With a completely homemade cream. The result will be rather firm or soft, depending on the preparation method.
How to make Millionaire's Shortbread
Let's start with our millionaire's shortbread. Stick to this recipe, and you will succeed: First of all, line a square baking pan (approx. 8*10 in / 20*25 cm) with baking paper. Now, preheat the oven to 300°F/150°C and beat the soft butter with the sugar until fluffy. Stir in the egg, add flour, semolina as well as salt, and mix into a homogeneous dough.
This easy Scottish shortbread is made with a sandy mixture and classically cut into oblong strips ("shortbread fingers").
Pour the dough into the baking pan, press until smooth, and prick the surface several times with a fork. Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Put the candies in a saucepan with the cream, butter, and water and melt at low temperature. Important note: Stir constantly while doing this! Simmer over medium heat for a few minutes until the caramel thickens. Spread caramel over kneaded dough base and refrigerate the cake for about 1-2 hours. Then for the icing, melt chocolate and butter and spread on top of the caramel. Allow setting slightly. In the end, carefully cut into small squares with a large sharp knife and let chill again for at least one hour.
Cutting the finished shortbread with caramel is a challenge. But imperfect is the new perfect, after all. And the taste makes up for all the effort!
For the dough
- 170 grams (1 ⅖ cups) all-purpose flour
- 70 grams (⅖ cup) semolina
- 150 grams (¾ cup) butter, soft
- 70 grams (⅓ cup) sugar
- 1 egg, medium
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
For the caramel
- 350 grams (1 ½ cups) caramel candies
- 50 grams (⅕ cups) cream
- 60 grams (⅓ cups) butter
- 50 milliliters (3 ⅖ tablespoons) water
For the icing
- 150 grams (1 cup) dark chocolate, or cake glaze
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Line a square baking pan (approx. 8*10 in / 20*25 cm) with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 300°F/150°C. Beat the soft butter with the sugar until fluffy. Stir in the egg. Add flour, semolina, and salt and mix to a homogeneous dough.
- Pour the dough into the baking pan, press until smooth, and prick the surface several times with a fork. Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Put the candies in a saucepan with the cream, butter, and water and melt at low temperature. Stir constantly while doing this! Simmer over medium heat for a few minutes until the caramel thickens.
- Spread caramel over kneaded dough base. Refrigerate the cake for about 1-2 hours. Then for the icing, melt chocolate and butter and spread on top of the caramel. Allow setting slightly. Carefully cut into small squares with a large sharp knife. Chill again for at least 1h.
The caramels for the cream can be hard candies like "Werthers Original" as well as creamier soft caramels. With the softer ones, you need less liquid! Homemade caramel cream is also possible. Eating the chocolate caramel shortbread is just a heavenly feeling: sweet, creamy, crunchy. Absolutely heavenly! To me, millionaire's shortbread is real soul food. Enjoy!
American Caramel CheesecakeAmerican Caramel Cheesecake
Delicious Strawberry Pudding Sheet Cake