These savory homemade cheese shortbread cookies are a great finger food all year round - deliciously crumbly and buttery!
If I had waited a little longer to take a picture of these cheese crackers, the images probably would have been blank. You see, these delicious shortbread cheese cookies took my family's hearts by storm years ago 😉 And yes, they are addictive. Much tastier than store-bought chips!
Taste and Occasion
The savory cheese shortbread is kind of like the salty alternative to classic cookie cutters. Except they taste good beyond the Christmas season. And have a different consistency.
It is true that the cheese cookies also consist of shortcrust or kneaded dough. However, this is prepared in a stirred alternative with soft butter.
Due to quite a lot of fat, additionally some cream and of course cheese, the result tastes seductively flaky and crumbly. Just the thing for the little appetite in between!
Besides, the cheese cookie recipe is suitable for champagne receptions and buffets. The dough of the savory cookies for cutting is rather soft. However, it is still easy to roll out after chilling.
You can make cheese cookies just as colorful as sweet cut-out cookie. Instead of sugar balls, chocolate sprinkles and powdered sugar, sesame seeds, caraway seeds, paprika powder or herb salt are used here.
We could just fall in love with it! By the way, it doesn't really matter whether you make the cheese cookies with Gouda or rather spicy mountain cheese. Just the way it tastes best to you.
Oh yes: The nibbles with cheese may be known to some under the name cheese feet. Sounds funny at first 😉 . But it is also merely cheese cookies in mini foot shape. The best thing about the easy recipe is that you usually have the ingredients at home anyway - and do not have to buy puff pastry or elaborately prepare yourself.
How to make the Homemade Cheese Shortbread Cookies
Let's start with how to make the delicious shortbread cheese crackers: First of all, beat soft butter until it becomes fluffy, then stir in one medium-sized egg and cream.
Next, add grated cheese, flour, baking powder and salt and mix everything into a rather sticky dough. Season it with a little pepper, paprika powder or similar to taste. The intensity is up to you!
Now, refrigerate the shortbread dough for about at least 1 hour. After that, roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface or, even better, between foil relatively thick and cut out the cookies.
This easy Scottish shortbread is made with a sandy mixture and classically cut into oblong strips ("shortbread fingers").
Preheat your oven to 360°F/180°C and place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and brush with the beaten egg yolk. Sprinkle the crackers with poppy seeds, sesame seeds or similar and bake for about 12 minutes until the crackers are golden. Take them out and enjoy!
Experience has shown that children in particular love cheese crackers. They can already help with the baking - because the little ones are true cookie cutters anyway 🙂 . With this in mind: Have fun making these hearty shortbread cookies with cheese!
Savory Homemade Cheese Shortbread Cookies
For the dough
- 100 grams (0.4 cups) butter , soft
- 100 grams (0.4 cups) cream
- 1 egg, medium-sized
- 100 grams (0.9 cups) grated cheese
- 250 grams (2 cups) wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk , whisked
- spices & seeds , e.g. paprika powder, caraway seeds, poppy seeds, sesame seeds
- Beat soft butter until fluffy, then stir in egg and cream. Add grated cheese, flour, baking powder and salt and mix everything into a rather sticky dough. Season with a little pepper, paprika powder or similar to taste.
- Refrigerate dough for about at least 1 hour. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface or, even better, between foil relatively thick and cut out the cookies. Preheat the oven to 360°F/180°C.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and brush with the beaten egg yolk. Sprinkle with poppy seeds, sesame seeds or similar and bake for about 12 minutes until the crackers are golden.
- Suitable cheeses are spicy mountain cheese for extra savory cookies or milder Gouda for children.
- The cookies taste best fresh but can also be frozen well and baked up briefly.
Savory is your style? If you are looking for other snack recipes, I can absolutely recommend you to try my spinach puffs filled with feta cheese. They just taste delicious! And in case you'd like to make something rather healthy, there are my lovely Low Carb Keto Crackers with only three ingredients.
See you soon!
Soft and Chewy Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Best Cut Out Christmas Cookies
Grandma's Easy Shortbread Biscuits
Easy Biscuit Recipe with only three Ingredients
Moist Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
Lemon Sheet Cake with Lemon Frosting
Turkish Borek with Spinach and Cheese