This quick low carb onion cake without a base convinces everyone: moist, quick, flavorful! It's a nice side effect that the onion cake is low in carbs.
Hey everyone! Today's recipe is a great quick dinner, and one of our new fall favorites.
Incredibly simple, incredibly moist and just plain delicious: No one will notice that this onion cake with shortcrust pasty is actually low carb. Even kids love the cake, and: Since the onion cake does not require yeast, it is really quick and easy to make.
Taste and Occasion
I got the idea to bake an onion cake without dough or a base from a friend. She recently served a delicious alternative and only afterward revealed that she had forgotten the (actually intended) bottom. The minor mishap definitely did not detract from the pleasure 😉
The classic onion cake is, of course, just as delicious. But this quick low carb onion cake convinces in many respects: You don't need much time for this recipe, mainly because you do not have to prepare yeast dough or shortcrust pastry. There is only one mass.
This delicious German butter cake with almonds is a popular sheet cake classic without much effort. The cream icing makes it exceptionally moist.
The result tastes a bit like a quiche; hot from the oven as well as lukewarm. And – all parents among you will know the little problem: Nobody notices that there are vegetables in the low carb onion cake. Anyway, you can trick toddlers with it very well 😉 .
Last advantage: The recipe is sure to succeed. It's almost as easy as scrambled eggs. The taste somehow reminds me of a Spanish egg tortilla. Wonderfully moist, spicy, tangy.
If you recreate the onion cake without yeast, cream and sour cream, you should pay attention to good ingredients. First and foremost, a good, flavorful cheese. I recommend mountain cheese; in principle, the recipe also works with milder alternatives. It doesn't matter if you use bacon, diced cooked ham or cottage ham.
The "scrambled egg mixture" is bound with flour. So you cannot say, that the onion cake gets along entirely without carbs. But you have to calculate the 130 grams of flour distributed over 12 pieces. So the onion cake is definetely low carb. And soooo delicious, whether you are on a low carb diet or not.
How to make the Quick Low Carb Onion Cake
This quick apple pie without flour and sugar consists of only 4 ingredients and is quickly mixed. For all who look for a delicious gluten-free Low Carb apple pie.
You will see, this recipe is really super fast and easy. But first things first: Peel and chop the onions and sauté in a little bit of oil or butter. At the end, add ham or bacon and set aside.
Now, preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C, cover the bottom of a springform pan with baking paper, lightly grease the edges and dust with flour. Then, beat the eggs well and stir in the milk.
Sift the flour into the egg mixture and stir it in. Now you can add the grated or diced cheese as well as the onion and bacon mixture. If you like, season to taste with salt and pepper.
At the end, pour the dough into the pan and bake the onion cake for about 35-40 minutes. That's it!
If you want the onion tart to be vegetarian, omit the meat. As a splash of color, however, I would then perhaps mix white with red onions.
Quick Low Carb Onion Cake
- 1 springform pan (10 in/26 cm)
- 500 grams (3 cups) onions, about 4 pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter, or oil
- 4 eggs, medium
- 170 milliliters (¾ cup) milk
- 130 grams (1 cup) wheat flour
- 200 grams (1 ¾ cups) mountain cheese, diced or grated
- 150 grams (1 cup) smoked ham or bacon, diced; optional
- Peel and chop the onions. Sauté in a little bit of oil or butter. Add ham or bacon at the end. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C. Cover the bottom of a springform pan with baking paper, lightly grease the edges and dust with flour. Beat the eggs well and stir in the milk.
- Sift the flour into the egg mixture and stir it in. Then add the grated or diced cheese and the onion and bacon mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the dough into the pan and bake the onion cake for about 35-40 minutes.
- The onion cake tastes hot, lukewarm, but also cold. It keeps well in the refrigerator and can be baked again for a short time.
- For a vegetarian onion cake without a base, simply omit the ham.
Of course, you can also hide vegetables in sweet recipes without the kids noticing 😉! For example, you need sweet potatoes for the dough of these vegan and gluten-free brownies. And because it is slowly but surely time for delicious fall recipes, the pumpkin spice cake is also an insider tip.
Classic Crumb Sheet Cake
Spinach Puffs with Feta
Easy Flatbread (No Yeast)
Low Carb Cheesecake: Cheesecake without sugar