What an explosion of taste! This heavenly Pumpkin Spice Cake made of sponge cake convinces all along the line. The result is a good mood on every cloudy autumn day.
I love moist pastries like this wonderful Pumpkin Spice cake.
The recipe for this fluffy pumpkin spice cake is definitely one of my family's absolute favorites. Which is no wonder: It is wonderfully aromatic, fluffy and even a little "warming". A real soul food, such a pumpkin cake made of spice cake!
Taste and Occasion
I must say that I like it better than the classic pumpkin pie, a tart made of short pastry filled with pumpkin cream. But all in all, I really love everything with pumpkin. No matter if soup, puree or casserole.
Popular classic cake for the cold season: This easy spice cake is made wonderfully moist and aromatic with ground almonds and dark chocolate!
The vegetable belongs to the few things which I love in the autumn 😉 . And the cake with Pumpkin Spice is definitely one of them! You can imagine the consistency like a mixture of spice cake, sand cake and zucchini cake. Lush, fluffy, aromatic and still a little moist.
The highlight of the Hokkaido cake is the brown cane sugar. It results in a wonderful caramel note. A small amount of maple syrup is also added to the dough. And then the cake is topped with syrup.
The recipe development for Pumpkin Bread was admittedly a bit complicated. Since I don't want to present copied creations but my own, I often have to try around until I am satisfied with the consistency and taste 🙂 .
In the end, it more than worked out: The pumpkin spice cake hits the spot not only with my family and me. My neighborhood loves it, as well!
I buy the aromatic maple syrup, the cane sugar, cinnamon, ginger and coconut oil all in organic quality. Since the pumpkin pie is baked with oil, it is especially moist.
Theoretically, as always, liquid butter is also suitable. Instead of ready-made Pumpkin Spice, I usually use an easy mixture of cinnamon and ginger powder (as well as grated nutmeg and ground cloves).
How to make the Pumpkin Spice Cake
Let me show you how the magic works. Start with preheating your oven to 350°F / 175°C. Then, grease a small springform pan (8*9 inches / 20*22 cm) and dust it with flour. Beat eggs with sugar for a few minutes until the mixture is frothy.
Now, stir in oil, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract and optionally maple syrup briefly. Mix all dry ingredients and stir them in briefly but thoroughly. Only until everything is well mixed and no more lumps are visible.
Bake the pumpkin cake for 25 minutes, then cover it and bake the pie for another 20 minutes. Make a test with sticks to check if it's ready. The cake may or should still be slightly moist. Let it cool down.
For the icing, stir the sifted powdered sugar with milk and maple syrup until smooth. Use only so much milk until the icing is not too thin. Spread the icing on the cake.
Instead of store-bought pumpkin puree you can make it easily at home. For that you need about half a small Hokkaido pumpkin. Cut the pumpkin into pieces, boil it for about 20 minutes until very soft, drain it well and puree it smooth.
Pumpkin Spice Cake with Frosting
- small springform pan (8*9 inches / 20*22 cm)
For the dough
- 3 eggs medium-sized
- 140 grams cane sugar or brown sugar
- 110 grams coconut oil or sunflower oil
- 170 grams pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup optional
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200 grams wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons Pumpkin-Spice see notes
For the frosting
- 100 grams powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk rough indication
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C. Grease a small springform pan (8*9 inches / 20*22 cm) and dust with flour. Beat the eggs with the sugar for a few minutes until frothy.
- Stir in oil, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract and optionally maple syrup briefly. Mix all dry ingredients and stir in briefly but thoroughly. Only until everything is well mixed and no more lumps are visible.Bake the cake for 25 minutes, then cover and bake for another 20 minutes. Make a test with sticks. The cake may or should still be slightly moist. Let it cool down.
- For the icing, stir the sifted powdered sugar with milk and maple syrup until smooth. Use only so much milk until the icing is not too thin. Spread the icing on the cake.
- Instead of the ready-made Pumpkin Spice, you can use a mixture of cinnamon and a little ginger powder, grated nutmeg and ground cloves, as well.
Pumpkin is one of your favorite vegetables for baking? Well, then you should definitely try my Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Frosting!
Then sign up for our email updates and get all new recipes in your inbox for free (you can always unsubscribe)!