Delicious pizza without carbohydrates? With this low carb pizza recipe it definitely works! The almond flour pizza dough is uncomplicated and quickly made.
Pizza without carbohydrates? With this low carb pizza recipe it works! The almond flour pizza dough is certainly not quite comparable to the Italian original - but a great substitute for those on a low carb diet. And still want to enjoy.
Taste and Occasion
In any case, we were very pleasantly surprised at how great a low carb pizza can taste! The recipe for the pizza base without carbohydrates (or at least with very few) sounds a bit adventurous and above all exciting for "newbies" at first.
The normal main ingredient of Italian pizzas, wheat flour, is of course omitted. Instead, mozzarella, de-oiled almond flour, eggs and cream cheese end up in the gluten-free pizza dough without yeast. The preparation is also correspondingly different.
To turn the ingredients into a great almond flour pizza, the cheese must first be diced into small pieces and melted. We personally prefer buffalo mozzarella, simply because it has much more flavor. Normal cow's milk cheese will do, of course.
Attention, almond flour is not the same as ground almonds! In this post I explain what the difference is. Namely, in the production, baking properties and nutritional values. De-oiled almond flour comes in light and dark.
Depending on the manufacturer and variety, it can taste slightly like marzipan, which may not be quite as desirable for a low carb pizza as it is for Christmas cookies. Just test it out. I personally use this, this or this almond flour, for example.
Unlike the "classic" one, the low carb pizza crust is first pre-baked before the toppings go on top. By the way, I got the inspiration for the recipe from the great book "Low Carb Baking" by my blogger friend Petra Hola, who was a guest in the past with this protein bread.
I have adapted her recipe a tiny bit. Petra rolls out the dough for example, which I found difficult because of the consistency - instead I have it virtually pressed into shape. Just use a springform pan rim or similar as a border, the gluten-free pizza becomes nice and round 😉
How to make the Low Carb Pizza
Let's get started with this delicious recipe! For the dough, cut the mozzarella balls into small cubes and place them in a small saucepan with cream cheese and heat everything gently. Melt the cheese for about 5 minutes over medium heat while stirring in between.
Preheat the oven to 110°F/230°C. Meanwhile, put almond flour in a bowl with eggs, salt and herbs. Add the melted cheese and knead everything with a hand mixer. The dough will be quite sticky and moist (and should be), add another 1-2 tablespoons of almond flour if necessary.
Now, line a baking tray with baking paper. Shape the dough with a spoon or dough scraper into a round, large and thin (!) patty on the tray, e.g. limit with a cake ring or springform pan rim. Pre-bake for 10 minutes.
A delicious pizza with vegetables, cheese and egg: This zucchini pizza is the dream for those who want to feast low-carb and gluten-free.
Prepare the ingredients for the topping or cut them into small pieces. Turn the pre-baked base, spread it with tomato sauce, sprinkle it with topping and cheese. Bake the pizza again for about 10 minutes.
Just like all other pizzas, be it traditional or low carb like the low carb pizza with tuna, ricotta or cauliflower, you can top this one completely as you like. It is true that the pizza is based on a kind of cheese base.
But what should not prevent you to sprinkle again nice cheese on it 😉 . We have in addition to tomato sauce, among other tomato, olives and fresh basil on our almond flour pizza. Have fun testing it out!
Crispy Low Carb Pizza Base
For the pizza dough
- 250 grams mozzarella , preferably buffalo mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese , creamy and full fat
- 130 grams almond flour , de-oiled; coarse specification
- 2 eggs, medium-sized
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
For the topping
- 5 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 100 grams grated cheese , to taste
- vegetables to taste, e.g. mushrooms, olives
- cooked ham to taste
- For the dough, cut the mozzarella balls into small cubes. Place in a small saucepan with the cream cheese and heat gently. Melt for about 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring in between.
- Preheat oven to 110°F/230°C. Put almond flour in a bowl with eggs, salt and herbs. Add melted cheese and knead with a hand mixer. The dough will be quite sticky and moist (and should be), add another 1-2 tablespoons of almond flour if necessary.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Shape the dough with a spoon or dough scraper into a round, large and thin (!) patty on the tray, e.g. limit with a cake ring or springform pan rim. Pre-bake for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the ingredients for the topping or cut them into small pieces. Turn or turn over pre-baked base, spread with tomato sauce, sprinkle with topping and cheese. Bake again for about 10 minutes.
Have you already tried my other low carb recipes? I can recommend my 3-ingredient low carb keto crackers to you! And if you are more of a sweet tooth, you should try my low carb apple pie without flour and sugar.
Leave a Reply