A delicious, easy and sugar-free keto chocolate cake with cocoa frosting. Another plus: the recipe is made of super common ingredients.
This ketogenic chocolate cake is the perfect example of how healthy pastries don't have to be super complicated or expensive. I used almost exclusively regular baking ingredients for this extremely low-carb chocolate cake. The result: wonderfully moist and chocolaty!
Taste and Occasion
A ketogenic diet is absolutely in vogue for some time. Roughly speaking, it is a particularly low-carbohydrate form of low carb nutrition. But even if you don't practice it, you might like this keto chocolate cake recipe. For one thing, the chocolate cake is sugar-free, gluten-free and dairy-free (at least without topping).
For another, it's made really quickly. It was important to me to develop a recipe for you as usual as possible, which reminds me of a "normal cake". Many classic keto baking recipes are a bit "special". You could say they often consist mainly of fat plus fat 😉 .
So, for example, from butter, coconut oil, peanut butter, eggs and chocolate. The whole thing is then often appropriately called Fat Bombs. This ketogenic cake is different.
Like the low carb apple cake, I took my cue from the delicious almond lemon cake but replaced the sugar with erythritol or xylitol. Both are available not only online, but also in supermarkets.
Besides, you need eggs, ground almonds, almond milk and cocoa for the easy keto chocolate cake. More exotic ingredients like coconut flour, potato fiber or guar gum are not necessary.
The quick ketogenic chocolate cake is based on a kind of sponge cake. For this to succeed, it is essential - as with the classic sponge cake - not to mix the batter too much. You should also keep an eye on the baking time so that the result does not become dry.
To make the gluten-free chocolate cake without sugar also a visual treat, I have it for the photos - as always shot with my great Sony α7R II - coated with a delicious frosting. 🙂
How to make the Keto Chocolate Cake
The preparation of the delicious keto chocolate cake is super easy. Before you start, preheat the oven to 350° F / 175°C. Then, grease a small springform pan (8 inches / 20 cm) and sprinkle it with almonds.
For the next step, separate the eggs and beat the egg yolks with the sweetener until the mixture is very foamy. Now, beat the egg whites until they become stiff.
Stir liquid coconut oil and almond milk into the egg mixture. Mix the almonds with the baking powder and salt and cocoa and gently stir it into the mixture; finally, fold in the beaten egg whites.
Fluffy, moist, very low in fat and entirely sugar-free: this light lemon cake with yogurt is made for those who like to enjoy low-calorie!
After that, pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth it out. Bake the keto chocolate cake for approx. 30 minutes.
For the optional frosting, beat the softened butter with the powdered sugar until they become fluffy. Stir in the cream cheese and cocoa. If the cream is too firm, add 1-2 tablespoons almond milk. Spread the frosting on the cooled cake - and enjoy!
The chocolate cake can be frozen well, even with the chocolate topping. And by the way: It has (divided into 8 pieces) without frosting only 9g carbohydrates per piece!
Delicious Keto Cake with Frosting
For the cake
- 4 eggs, medium-sized
- 90 grams xylitol , or erythritol
- 60 milliliters almond milk , or soy/cow's milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, liquid; or butter
- 180 grams ground almonds , blanched
- 40 grams baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
For the optional frosting
- 55 grams butter, soft
- 200 grams cream cheese
- 100 grams powdered sugar , from erythritol
- 50 grams baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon almond milk , if needed
- Preheat the oven to 350° F / 175°C. Grease a small springform pan (8 inches / 20 cm) and sprinkle with almonds. Separate the eggs. Beat the egg yolks with the sweetener until very foamy. Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Stir the liquid coconut oil and almond milk into the egg mixture. Mix the almonds with the baking powder and salt and cocoa and gently stir into the mixture; finally, fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth it out. Bake the cake for approx. 30 minutes.
- For the optional frosting, beat the softened butter with the powdered sugar until fluffy. Stir in the cream cheese and cocoa. If the cream is too firm, add 1-2 tablespoons almond milk. Spread the frosting on the cooled cake.
If this easy keto chocolate cake recipe has whetted your appetite for low-carb baking, take a look at our other low carb recipes. There you will find no-sugar cheesecake, low carb apple pie and chocolate biscuits. But for now, have fun baking this simple chocolate cake without sugar, flour and milk!
High Protein Chocolate Cake
Moist & Healthy Chocolate Muffins
Low-Carb Apple Cake
Classic Scottish Shortbread
Low Carb Brownies without Sugar
The Best Chocolate Marble Cake
Vegan Carrot Cake without Eggs & Milk