Nobody will notice that these moist sweet potato brownies are vegan and sugar-free! Without egg, butter, flour and Co. So, test immediately!
Deliciously chocolaty, soft, and moist: a rather unusual combination of ingredients makes great brownies without sugar & animal products.
Taste and Occasion
Sweet potato brownies? Might sound strange at first. But the result is more than convincing! Although the sweet potato brownies are sugarfree and vegan, they taste deliciously luscious without eggs, butter, flour, and milk. So, if you're ever in the mood for some delicious yet healthy brownies, you should try my recipe.
Sweet potatoes have been all the rage for a while now. But even if you don't love them usually - like me - the brownies with sweet potatoes are worth a try. It doesn't taste like a vegetable. Promise! Just the subtle sweetness and great texture of the puree come into play. Now, unfortunately, healthy sweet potato brownies are not my invention. Most of the recipes on the web are based on "Deliciously Ella's" recipe. However, I have modified the original quite a bit.
My sweet potato brownies are sugarfree because I didn't use any (alternative) sweeteners like maple syrup. Instead, only the sweetness from fruits - dates and bananas. In addition, my option is much more chocolatey. And also got a heavenly creamy topping 🙂. So how do you make sweet potato brownies? When all the standard ingredients are already missing, you need alternatives. In my sweet potato brownie, in addition to vegetables and fruit, there are oatmeal, almonds, oat milk, and coconut oil, among other ingredients.
How to make the Sweet Potato Brownies
First of all, boil sweet potato cubes in a bit of water until soft, about 10 minutes. Drain water. Soak dates in a little hot water, also drain after 5 minutes. Mash the banana. Mash the slightly cooled sweet potatoes with dates and banana puree. Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C. Line a small baking pan (approx. 8*10 in / 20*25 cm) with baking paper.
Then, add almonds, coconut oil, oatmeal, and cocoa to the pureed ingredients and finely puree everything in a food processor or similar. Finally, add the baking powder. Pour the dough into the pan and smooth it out. Bake for about 35 minutes. Let cool in the pan and put in the refrigerator.
Easy, quick granola bars with no baking required. These vegan bars with no egg, butter, dairy or industrial sugar are the perfect snack for the whole family!
For the topping, soak the dates in about 100 ml of hot water. Let steep for 10 minutes, and drain. Now, puree dates and mix with almond paste, cocoa, and oat milk. Spread the sweet potato brownies with the topping and store in the refrigerator.
Very important: Please use soft dates or fresh dates, not dried ones. They become - pureed - like caramel 😉 . I especially like the consistency of the sweet potato brownies without sugar, egg, flour, and butter. So really nice chewy, and "crunchy". Like the vegan almond paste brownies or the avocado brownies. I love it! The icing is the velvety chocolate topping. You can make the foundation yourself using our almond paste recipe (or a store-bought alternative).
Sweet Potato Brownies
- 1 mold 8*10 in / 20*25 cm
For the brownies
- 450 grams (3 ½ cups) sweet potato, peeled weighed
- 130 grams (1 cup) dates, soft dates or fresh
- 100 grams (¾ cup) banana, very ripe
- 100 grams (1 cup) ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 80 grams (⅓ cup) ground oatmeal, you can use gluten-free!
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
For the optional topping
- 60 grams (⅓ cup) almond paste, see tips
- 100 grams (¾ cup) dates, soft dates or fresh ones
- 1 ½ tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon oat milk, or almond milk, coarse
- Boil sweet potato cubes in a bit of water until soft, about 10 minutes. Drain water. Soak dates in a little hot water, also drain after 5 minutes. Mash the banana. Mash the slightly cooled sweet potatoes with dates and banana puree.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C. Line a small baking pan (approx. 8*10 in / 20*25 cm) with baking paper.
- Add almonds, coconut oil, oatmeal, and cocoa to the pureed ingredients and finely puree everything in a food processor or similar. Finally, add the baking powder.
- Pour the dough into the pan and smooth it out. Bake for about 35 minutes. Let cool in the pan and put in the refrigerator.
- For the topping, soak the dates in about 100 ml of hot water. Let steep for 10 minutes, and drain. Puree dates and mix with almond paste, cocoa, and oat milk. Spread brownies with the topping. Store in the refrigerator.
- The recipe works just as well with store-bought almond paste as with homemade using my basic recipe.
That the sweet potato brownies are low in calories, you can no longer claim. But with the good ingredients, still healthier than the classic brownies. Wholesome, vegan, sugarfree, glutenfree. Since balance is known to be everything, I recommend my other brownie recipes also, of course 🙂 .
Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake
Easy Sugar-free Oatmeal Cookies
Vegan Banana Bread Recipe
Leave a Reply