A loaf of delicious, hearty sourdough rye bread with rye meal that is guaranteed to succeed even for beginners. Due to the yeast and the dried sourdough, it is also prepared quickly.
This fast sourdough rye bread with yeast is so delicious that even our children prefer it to white bread. The taste is wonderfully hearty, the consistency anything but dry. This makes the easy rye bread a great alternative to our everyday bread with wheat sourdough.
Taste and Occasion
After all, breads with their own liquid sourdough are sometimes a bit lengthy - especially because the sourdough has to be prepared over days. This rye bread with ready-made sourdough and yeast is certainly a bit different in the end, but no less delicious.
For the bread with rye meal, I use dry sourdough or sourdough powder, which is available in every supermarket. The dough with sourdough powder or dry sourdough needs additional yeast to rise.
If you also use the dried alternative here, you will have a homemade rye bread on the table within 2 to 3 hours - whereby the time is almost exclusively spent on the dough to rise. The perfect way to quickly satisfy your desires for fresh bread. 😉
I grind some of the rye meal myself from rye grains with my grandmother's old grain mill. Here I can adjust the fineness very well. Of course, you can also use finished grist.
Besides, German sourdough rye meal bread also contains wheat or spelt flour. The amount of dough for the bread with dry sourdough is enough for a very large loaf or two small ones.
How to make the Sourdough Rye Bread
Let's get started! First of all, pour 400ml (1 ⅔ cups) of warm water over the grist and let it rest for 20 minutes. Then mix it with flour, yeast, sourdough, salt and the remaining 100ml (½ cups) warm water in a large bowl.
Now, knead the dough for a few minutes with a kitchen machine or your hands; it is quite sticky. Cover the bowl with a cloth and let it rest in a warm place for about 20 minutes.
Knead the dough again briefly and place it in one large or two small baking tins, greased or lined with baking paper. Smooth it out. Cover the rye bread again and let it rest for at least half an hour. Preheat the oven to 200 °C / 392 °F.
Our favorite sourdough bread for every day: This wheat bread without additional yeast only needs a lot of resting time, but is easy, variable and gets a wonderful crust and crumb.
Bake the sourdough rye bread for about 45 minutes. Remove it from the baking pan towards the end and bake it again without the pan for a short time.
The dough of the easy fast rye bread with yeast and dry sourdough is comparatively sticky and moist. Therefore, I advise you to bake it in a cake tin (i.e., not released from the fermenting basket).
The grist makes the rye meal bread taste more hearty and hearty. I hope you like this super simple recipe. As I said: we love it!
German Sourdough Rye Meal Bread
- 400 grams (1 ¾ cups) rye meal
- 300 grams (2 ½ cups) all-purpose flour, or spelt
- 15 grams (1 tablespoon) dry sourdough
- 7 grams (2 tablespoons) dry yeast , 1 small cube
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 500 milliliters (2 cups) water, lukewarm
- Pour 400ml of warm water over the grist and let it stand for 20 minutes. Then mix with flour, yeast, sourdough, salt and the remaining 100ml warm water in a large bowl.
- Let the dough knead for a few minutes; it is quite sticky. Cover the bowl with a cloth and let it rest in a warm place for about 20 minutes.
- Knead the dough again briefly and place it in one large or two small baking tins, greased or lined with baking paper. Smooth out. Cover again and let rest for at least half an hour. Preheat oven to 200 °C / 392 °F.
- Bake bread for about 45 minutes. Remove from the baking pan towards the end and bake again without the pan for a short time.
You can find more inspiration in our bread recipe collection. If you want to become an real expert in bread baking you should definitely check out my guide for a sourdough starter for bread.
Leave a Reply