With fluffy yeast dough and crispy crumbles, but without animal ingredients: This vegan streusel coffee cake is an excellent alternative to the classic.
Looking for a delicious vegan alternative?
This vegan coffee crumb cake comes really close to the original: the dough is wonderfully airy, the crumbles are wonderfully crumbly, and all this without any animal ingredients. Vegans as well as people who are allergic to eggs and co. should be happy about my recipe today. 🙂
Taste and Occasion
My baking creations are always tested by the whole family (and often also friends). The best praise for me is when recipes like this hit the spot without anyone "noticing" anything. Nobody would have thought that the crumb cake is vegan. Especially the little lucky baker can't get enough of it at the moment.
What I personally always find great: The vegan yeast crumble cake can be frozen in pieces. Thus one has always a small dainty in the freezer if attendance or spontaneous appetite comes up 😉 .
This delicious German butter cake with almonds is a popular sheet cake classic without much effort. The cream icing makes it exceptionally moist.
The recipe for the vegan yeast cake with crumbles is very simple. Since both yeast dough and crumble dough can be made with relatively few or no eggs, the classic crumble cake recipe can be veganized easily.
I have slightly modified the classic alternative by using a little more fat for the dough (instead of an egg). Instead of butter, vegetable margarine is used in the vegan yeast crumble cake.
I usually use this rather rarely for baking. But it is a good, cheap, everywhere available butter substitute. And the crumbles made of so-called stirred short pastry (i.e. with soft instead of cold fat) are lovely.
How to make the Vegan Streusel Coffee Cake
The recipe is rather simple and not much different to the regular streusel coffee cake. For the yeast dough, put all ingredients into a large mixing bowl, mix and knead everything for 5-10 minutes. Then, cover the yeast dough with a cloth and leave it to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour.
Crispy crumbles and a fluffy yeast dough with a thin layer of cream in between: The perfect, easy crumb cake from the baking sheet!
Meanwhile, for the crumbles, put flour, sugar and margarine into a bowl. Knead into crumbles first with the dough hooks, then with your fingers. After that, cool it in the refrigerator.
Cover a baking sheet with baking paper. Knead the yeast dough again briefly, roll it out to baking sheet size and place it on the baking sheet. Cover it again and let the dough rise for about 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 360°F / 180°C heat. Brush the rolled out dough with juice. Then, spread the crumbles on the cake. Bake the coffee cake with crumbles for 20-25 minutes.
Attention: Not too long! The Streusel mustn't get brown but should stay light. The coffee crumb cake tastes best fresh, but can also be frozen.
If you want to bake a vegan crumb cake without margarine, you can replace it with (a little less) coconut oil.
Simple Vegan Streusel Coffee Cake
For the dough
- 500 grams (4 cups) wheat flour
- 260 milliliters (1.1 cups) oat milk , or soy; lukewarm
- 10 grams (0.4 oz) dry yeast , 1.5 sachets
- 80 grams (0.4 cups) sugar
- 110 grams (½ cups) margarine, soft
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 pinch salt
For the streusel
- 300 grams (2.4 cups) wheat flour
- 200 grams (0.9 cups) margarine
- 130 grams (0.7 cups) sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest , or cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of juice , e.g. orange; to spread
- For the yeast dough, put all ingredients into a large mixing bowl, mix and knead for 5-10 minutes. Cover with a cloth and leave to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, for the crumbles, put flour, sugar and margarine into a bowl and knead into crumbles first with the dough hooks, then with your fingers. Put it in the refrigerator to cool.
- Cover a baking sheet with baking paper. Knead the dough again briefly, roll out to baking sheet size and place on the baking sheet. Cover again and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 360°F / 180°C heat. Brush rolled out dough with juice. Spread the crumbles on the cake. Bake the cake for 20-25 minutes until light. Attention: Not too long! Tastes best fresh, but can also be frozen.
The basic recipe is a vegan crumble cake without fruit. But the cake will also be delicious if you refine it with a couple of fruits. For example, I took currants from our garden. Or how about a vegan crumb cake with cherries or apples?
My opinion is yes: crumbs always work. Whether on vegan yeast dough, with apricots and curd or with pudding and cherries. That's why my classic crumble cake creation or delicious pear crumb muffins always hit the spot.
Or browse through my vegan recipes and have a taste of this wonderfully moist vegan lemon sheet cake. Have a great day to you all!
Homemade Cherry Cake with Crumbles
Easy Thin Crust Pizza Dough
Pear Muffins with Crumbles
Low carb apple pie with no flour and sugar
Homemade Indian Naan Bread with Yogurt
Wonderfully moist Vegan Lemon Cake without Eggs, Butter or Milk