Apple pie is a classic recipe not only in the US but also in Germany. And Grandma's apple pie is one of the absolute cake classics from my childhood.
Apple pie is a classic recipe not only in the US but also in Germany. And Grandma's apple pie is one of the absolute cake classics from my childhood. In this sense, this combination of tender shortcrust pastry, fruity filling, and sweet icing really tastes delicious! In this article, I'll tell you what we think is the best apple pie recipe. Simple, but a bit time-consuming. But the result is worth the effort!
The apple pie from the Springform Pan is a classic. In short: the base and top are made of kneaded dough (which I refine with almonds) and the apple pie filling of pre-cooked apples, raisins, and lemon juice. On top, there is a layer of icing. Besides, this is not only the apple cake after granny's prescription - but in the actual case also one with granny's apples 😉 . We visited her a couple of weeks ago so that we can support her with the fruit harvest. It made fun of harvesting the really overfull plum and apple trees. Even though this year was almost too much. After all, we have brought 150 kilos of apples to the juice press, the rest we eat - or bake them as an ingredient in the apple pie.
For the apple pie, I used apples of different varieties. Some are small and sour, white and very firm inside, others floury and softer. I don't even know the name of some of them in the same way. Together with a good portion of cinnamon and the delicious crust, they make a cake so delicious you'd really want to eat it immediately…
We love the apple pie with icing sugar
The raisins in the filling are, of course, optional. But for me, they belong to it. Although Grandma traditionally only uses powdered sugar for powdering, I usually make the cake with icing. In short, the perfect sugar after the strenuous fruit action!
Enjoy this recipe and I'd love to read how you like it 🙂
Homemade Apple Pie
For the dough
- 300 grams (2 ½ cups) flour
- 50 grams (½ cup) ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 180 grams (1 cup) butter, cold and in small pieces
- 100 grams (½ cups) sugar
- 1 egg, medium-sized
- 2 tablespoon ground almonds
For the filling
- 1200 grams (10 cups) apples, sour
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 80 grams (½ cup) sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 70 grams (½ cup) raisins
- 2 tablespoon apple juice
For the casting
- 100 grams (1 cup) icing sugar
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- first knead the ingredients for the dough with the dough hooks, then with your hands to a smooth dough. Form 3 balls of about the same size and wrap them in foil and refrigerate for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, soak the raisins in apple juice for the filling. Peel apples, remove seeds, cut into cubes and mix with lemon juice.
- Steam the apples incl. lemon juice with sugar and cinnamon in a small pot for about 5 minutes; if they draw a lot of water, drain it a little afterwards. Stir in the starch.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees top and bottom heat. Butter a springform pan and dust with a little flour. Roll out a dough ball for the blanket on a lightly floured work surface (or a silicone baking mat), cut out with the edge of the springform pan and place in the refrigerator. Roll out the rest of the dough as well, lay out the mold with it and form a rim about 3 cm high. Insert the base several times with a fork. Sprinkle on the almonds.
- Mix the pre-steamed apples with the raisins and spread on the base. Carefully place the dough on top of the cake. Press the edges down well. Prick the top several times with a fork. Bake the cake in a preheated oven for about 40 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin.
- For the icing, mix sifted icing sugar with lemon juice to form a viscous icing. Spread over the cake.
Apple pie with cinnamon cream: Best apple pie recipe
German Butter Cake with Almond Topping
Healthy Low-Fat Apple Cake
Easy German Apple Sheet Cake
German Bee Sting Cake
Sugar-Free Apple Pie (Vegan)
German Apple Strudel (Homemade Apfelstrudel)
Zebra cake with cream instead of butter
Wonderfully moist Vegan Lemon Cake without Eggs, Butter or Milk