This sugar-free apple pie is a great healthy cake for babies, kids and adults. The cake doesn't require egg, butter, sugar and milk!
You're looking for a baby and toddler-friendly cake or you're a health-conscious gourmet? Then this healthy apple pie is perfect for you – it's vegan, sugar-free & low-calorie!
Taste and Occasion
This apple pie without egg, butter, milk and sugar is for all those looking for a healthy children's cake, have allergies, are on a vegan diet or simply suffer from an acute lack of baking ingredients 😉 . Although the cake recipe is without milk and sweeteners, the result is fruity, moist and delicious!
Since I first posted the vegan apple cake without sugar and wheat in 2017 on my german blog, it has been one of the most popular healthy baking recipes. The idea came up because our readers wanted more healthy cakes for babies and toddlers. And cakes in which classic allergens are avoided. Cow's milk or egg intolerances are quite common, especially in the first years of life.
In addition, many parents initially want to bake cakes without sugar. Of course, the apple pie is perfect for babies and toddlers and suitable for all adults: Vegans, allergy sufferers, clean eaters. This apple pie is low in fat and free of added sweeteners in the form of sugar, honey, maple syrup and co. Sweetness, moisture and moistness come solely from apples and fruit puree.
By the way, the apple pie is suitable for babies not only because of its ingredients but also because it is soft and moist, so it is good to "chew". While it reminds of sweet casserole when lukewarm, it is firmer and more "cakey" after a few hours of cooling.
Baking soda combined with a tiny amount of vinegar results in leavening power; ground almonds are essential for flavor and consistency. The most suitable fruit is mashed ripe bananas, apple-banana pulp or date puree. The main thing is that it tastes nice and sweet.
When you take the dough experiment out of the oven, you may first notice the slightly grayish color. The color is due to the lack of butter and eggs, which otherwise make cakes beautifully yellow. Tastefully, the moist apple pie without egg definitely convinces! Sure, you can't compare it to a classic apple pie like grandma's apple pie or the alternative with cinnamon cream.
How to make the Sugar-Free Apple Pie
First things first: Wash, peel and core the apples and cut them into small pieces. Then, preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C.
Grease a small springform pan (approx. 8 in/20 cm) or line it with baking paper. After that, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, almonds, cinnamon and vanilla. In a second bowl, mix oat milk with vinegar, fruit puree and coconut oil so that there are no lumps left.
This easy apple pie without flour and sugar has only 4 ingredients and is quick to mix. For those looking for a delicious gluten-free low carb apple pie.
Now it's time to stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients briefly, but vigorously. Fold in the apple pieces (for us, the cake tastes especially good when I (pre)bake the apple pieces in the oven for 5-10 minutes before folding them into the dough). Finally, pour the dough into the pan and smooth it out.
Bake the cake for 40-45 minutes and test with chopsticks if necessary. The cake is quite moist inside but should be baked through. Warm, it tastes more like a casserole; it will be firmer if left overnight in the refrigerator. Either way, the cake tastes heavenly, so enjoy!
The cake is only subtly sweet and rather compact due to the lack of fat and eggs. If you like it sweeter, you can add raisins and/or 70 grams of cane sugar to the dough.
Sugar-Free Apple Pie
- small springform pan (approx. 8 in/ 20 cm)
- 200 grams (1 ¾ cups) spelt flour, type 630; alternatively wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 50 grams (½ cup) ground almonds
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ piece vanilla pulp, half scraped out pod
- 150 milliliters (⅔ cup) oat milk, or almond, rice, cow milk
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 150 grams (1 cup) banana puree, or apple-banana pulp, date puree
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil , alternatively rapeseed oil or similar
- 300 grams (2 ½ cups) apples
- Wash, peel and core the apples and cut them into small pieces. Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C. Grease a small springform pan (approx. 8 in/20 cm) or line it with baking paper.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, almonds, cinnamon and vanilla. In a second bowl, mix oat milk with vinegar, fruit puree and coconut oil so that there are no lumps left.
- Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients briefly, but vigorously. Fold in the apple pieces. Pour the dough into the pan and smooth it out.
- Bake the cake for 40-45 minutes. Test with chopsticks if necessary. The cake is quite moist inside but should be baked through. Warm, it tastes more like a casserole; it will be firmer if left overnight in the refrigerator.
I'm looking forward to your feedback on my apple pie without sugar, butter, eggs and milk! By the way: I'm sure I'll soon get the hint that the cake is not sugar-free at all, since there is (fruit) sugar in the fruit. True. If that is too much for you, you can bake delicious bread 😉 . Or you can try the low carb apple pie or the healthy low-fat apple cake.
Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread
Best Cut Out Christmas Cookies
Healthy Low-Fat Apple Cake
Best Ever Tasty Vegan Waffles
Three Ingredient Biscuits - Simple & Quick
Moist & Healthy Chocolate Muffins
Vegan Banana Oatmeal Muffins