You have a craving for waffles, but want to do without sugar, flour and masses of butter? Then this protein waffles recipe is just right for you!
Protein waffles sound like a great thing. With the right recipe you can make a delicious dessert for breakfast - and at the same time get a good portion of protein.
And because my protein waffle recipe is without sugar and flour, it is also perfect for people with a gluten intolerance, diabetics or low carb fans.
Taste and Occasion
For this post, I once again did some experimenting. Because especially with fitness baking recipes, it is unfortunately often the case that the nutritional values of the result - to put it mildly - seem somewhat more important than the taste.
Which leads to sometimes wonderful comments under (other people's) recipes like: "is garbage, lousy recipe" or "tastes like omelet from the waffle iron". Of course, this kind of thing awakens my ambition…
This delicious German butter cake with almonds is a popular sheet cake classic without much effort. The cream icing makes it exceptionally moist.
And the protein waffles that I present to you today, even our children loved to eat. Not because they necessarily need something like that; but they are always good incorruptible test eaters 😉 .
Of course, please do not compare my version with heart waffles made from classic sponge. Nevertheless, the protein waffles without flour and sugar are a delicious, healthy change!
So I tested several high protein waffles for you with a wide variety of ingredients(ratios). So that the waffles score with much protein, are in the dough among other things cottage cheese, protein powder, almond or nut puree and eggs.
Of these, however, no masses as is often the case with fitness waffles. In addition, the protein waffle recipe comes without cottage cheese or banana.
A low carb protein waffle without sugar has only 3 grams of carbohydrates, but 11 grams of protein. Originally I didn't want protein powder as a flour substitute, but oatmeal. I also specify this as a variation in the recipe. But the consistency (and of course the protein content) are better with protein powder.
These sugar-free and flourless low carb waffles are made with a special batter. The result: fluffy gluten-free waffles that are completely free of protein powder and other special ingredients.
How to make the Protein Waffles
The recipe for the delicious low carb protein waffles is super simple: Mix all ingredients well in a blender or mixer to make a homogeneous dough.
Sweeten everything with xylitol or erythritol to taste. Then, grease a waffle iron well (!) and heat to medium heat.
Pour 3-4 tablespoons of batter (depending on iron size) into the center and spread, close waffle iron and bake for 2-4 minutes. Do not open the waffle iron too early.
The protein waffles taste best warm. You can heat up the oven a little to keep them warm after baking until it's time to eat!
Low Carb High Protein Waffles
- 3 eggs, medium-sized
- 30 grams (2 tablespoon) almond paste , or other nut paste
- 25 grams (2 tablespoon) coconut oil, liquid
- 3 tablespoons (3 tablespoon) cottage cheese , 20% fat
- 60 grams (⅔ cups) protein powder , or oatmeal; see tips
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground vanilla
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- erythritol , or xylitol to taste
- Mix all ingredients well in a blender or mixer to make a homogeneous dough. Sweeten with xylitol or erythritol to taste.
- Grease a waffle iron well (!) and heat to medium heat. Pour 3-4 tablespoons of batter (depending on iron size) into the center and spread, close waffle iron and bake for 2-4 minutes. Do not open too early.
- The protein powder must be a multi-component protein. Note: Depending on the composition and variety, the result may differ! If you use a neutral variety, you will of course need (more) additional sweetener than, for example, a sweetened vanilla protein.
- Instead of protein powder, you can also use ground (gluten-free) oatmeal. The consistency and protein content of the waffles will of course change.
Feel free to check out our other waffle recipes - including a vegan one with whole grains as well as a low carb high fat version or the classic waffle recipe my whole family is crazy about.
See you soon!
Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake
Best Ever Tasty Vegan Waffles
Winter waffles with cinnamon, nuts and co.
Classic Crumb Sheet Cake
Waffle recipe: Simple classic wafer dough
Sugar-Free Protein Cookies
Low carb chocolate biscuits
Then sign up for our email updates and get all new recipes in your inbox for free (you can always unsubscribe)!
Low carb apple pie with no flour and sugar
Healthy Flapjacks - Homemade Energy Bars
Low Carb Pizza with Crispy Crust
Deliciously moist Gluten-Free Lemon Cake with Almonds
German Pfannkuchen - Best Pancake Recipe
Moist flourless chocolate cake