This Vegan Chocolate Beet Cake is simply delicious: Chocolatey and extremely moist! You can make the recipe glutenfree and without sugar, too!
This vegan chocolate cake is stunning: Super chocolatey, but no chocolate in it, super juicy, although there are no eggs, butter or milk in it: And equipped with an unusual secret ingredient 😉 . You bake the chocolate cake with beet. This sounds strange at first but is an ingenious little trick.
Taste and Occasion
I'm currently experimenting with fruit or vegetable puree and shredded vegetables. I love date puree in cake batter, grated zucchini and carrots, parsnips and sweet potatoes. For this vegan chocolate beet cake recipe without butter and egg, you'll need pre-cooked, pureed beet. The recipe resembles my vegan chocolate cake. I promise: You can't taste the veggies in the finished cake! This was confirmed with several voluntary test eaters 😉 . They all praised (fortunately…) the taste and the consistency. Pleasure with a good (vitamin) conscience, genius!
Attention, for the vegan beet cake, you need lemon juice and apple cider vinegar; in combination with baking soda, the vegan chocolate cake rises really best without eggs. Apart from that, you can change the recipe a bit. From the basic dough, you can bake, for example, vegan beet muffins or vegan beet brownies. Only the baking time is a bit shorter.
If you want the beet cake to be sugar-free, just use "brown xylitol". For a glutenfree beetroot cake, you'll need a glutenfree flour mix like this. By the way, using pre-cooked organic beet saves the tubers' time-consuming and color "joyful" preparation.
How to make the Vegan Chocolate Beet Cake
Let's get started with this special chocolate cake recipe: First of all, cut the "special ingredient" – the beet – into small pieces and puree with the sugar. There shouldn't be chunks left. Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C. Grease a small springform pan and dust with a bit of cocoa.
Very quick, easy recipe for a moist nut cake without eggs, butter or milk. Delicious!
Now, mix flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. After this, whisk together vegetable milk, oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and vanilla extract and add to the beet purée. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix everything briefly but vigorously to form a homogeneous dough. Then, pour into the prepared pan and smooth out. Bake for approx. 35-40 minutes. If it's necessary, test with chopsticks: the cake may still be slightly moist inside.
I sweetened the vegan beet chocolate cake rather subtly with cane sugar. If you like it sweeter, you can still apply a thick chocolate icing. Simply melt some dark chocolate coating in a hot water bath and cover the cake with it.
Vegan Chocolate Beet Cake
- 1 small springform pan (7.9 in/ 20 cm)
- 130 grams (⅔ cup) cane sugar, or brown sugar or xylitol
- 220 grams (1 ⅘ cups) all-purpose flour
- 30 grams (⅓ cup) baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 100 milliliters (7 tablespoons) oat milk, or soy milk
- 150 milliliters (10 tablespoons) sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 200 grams (1 ½ cups) beet, pre-cooked and vacuumed
- Cut the beet into small pieces and puree with the sugar, so no chunks are left. Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C. Grease a small springform pan and dust with a bit of cocoa.
- Mix flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Whisk together vegetable milk, oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and vanilla extract and add to the beet purée.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix everything briefly but vigorously to form a homogeneous dough. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth out. Bake for approx. 35-40 minutes. If necessary, test with chopsticks, but the cake may still be slightly moist inside.
- You can cover the baked and cooled cake with chocolate icing if you like. To do this, chop 150 grams of dark chocolate coating, melt in a hot water bath and spread it over the cake.
Instead of one cake, you can also bake about 12 muffins with the same amount of ingredients. Baking time is just under 20 minutes.