Easy, quick & very moist Spanish almond cake without flour. This recipe is super delicious, glutenfree & optionally low carb.
As a vacation destination, Mallorca has never really appealed to me, but because of the Majorcan almond cake, you just have to like the island. Don't believe me? Then go on reading!
Taste and Occasion
The "gató de almendra" tastes incredible: delicious, fluffy, and moist at the same time. By the way, the Spanish almond cake does not need any flour. You prepare the dough in a flash. And as if that were not already enough convincing arguments for a pastry, it is also a cake made with only three ingredients (and no, none of them is a baking mix 😉 ). You can tell I'm in a bit of a rave mode.
As I've mentioned before, I have a bit of a soft spot for both fluffy and moist pastries. This Majorcan almond cake has both; it's a mix of a sponge cake and a classic cake batter. Pure, however, the cake looks a bit "naked", and could also do with a fruity contrast in terms of taste. How lucky that persimmon season is here - the bright orange fruit complements the cake amazingly, but I can also imagine red berries.
To make the persimmon compote for my Spanish almond cake, I diced the fruit small and steamed it with a bit of water, bourbon vanilla, and a spoonful of cane sugar. Christmas spices are also an excellent addition.
How to make the Spanish Almond Cake
First things first: Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C, grease the baking pan, and sprinkle with ground almonds. Now, carefully separate the eggs. Beat the egg whites with completely fat-free, clean whisks until stiff, adding 50 grams of sugar towards the end. In a second bowl, beat the egg yolks with the remaining sugar for a few minutes until creamy.
Then, stir the almonds (and lemon zest, if desired) into the egg cream. Gradually fold in the beaten egg whites carefully but gently. Important note: You should stop stirring vigorously (like with sponge dough) but fold in with a whisk or dough scraper.
This easy apple cake without flour and sugar has only 4 ingredients and is quick to bake. Perfect if you're looking for a delicious gluten-free low carb apple cake.
Pour the dough into the pan, smooth it out and bake your Spanish almond cake for about 40-45 minutes. Test with a chopstick and ensure the cake is still moist inside. Enjoy your Mallorca-moments with this cake. And also try my persimmon compote (recipe in the notes).
By the way, since the almond cake is flourless, it's naturally glutenfree. But it can be even healthier - scilicet, super low-carb! If you want to make the Majorcan almond cake low carb, you can replace the cane sugar with sweeteners such as a mix of xylitol and erythritol.
Spanish Almond Cake
- 1 springform pan (10 in / 26 cm)
- 8 eggs, medium
- 170 grams (⅘ cup) sugar
- 300 grams (2 ¾ cups) ground almonds, should be blanched
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C. Grease the baking pan and sprinkle with ground almonds.
- Carefully separate the eggs. Beat the egg whites with completely fat-free, clean whisks until stiff, adding 50 grams of sugar towards the end. In a second bowl, beat the egg yolks with the remaining sugar for a few minutes until creamy.
- Stir the almonds (and lemon zest, if desired) into the egg cream. Gradually fold in the beaten egg whites carefully but gently. You should stop stirring vigorously (like with sponge dough) but fold in with a whisk or dough scraper.
- Pour the dough into the pan, smooth it out and bake for about 40-45 minutes. Test with a chopstick. The cake may still be moist.
- To make the persimmon compote as a topping, you will need 3 persimmons, 1 tablespoon of cane sugar, and ½ teaspoon of vanilla.
- Wash persimmons, remove the base, and cut into small cubes. Place in a small saucepan with the sugar and approximately 5 tablespoons of water or juice (amount depends on how juicy the fruit is), bring to a boil and simmer at a low level for about 8 minutes. Season with vanilla and serve lukewarm/cold with the cake.
Did you know: My lemon almond cake, the moist flourless chocolate cake, the low carb apple cake, and the keto chocolate cake are similar to this recipe and also highly recommended 😉.
Mousse Au Chocolat
German cinnamon stars (Zimtsterne)
Easy Classic Tiramisu (Original Italian)
Rhubarb Cake with Meringue Topping
Recipe for Austrian Pancakes (Kaiserschmarrn)
Low-Fat Sugar-Free Lemon Cake
Easy & Moist Coconut Macaroons
Leave a Reply