This vegan russian plucked cake is a delicious alternative to the popular classic: the plucked cake without butter, egg and curd is perfect!
Hello dear friends!
Today's recipe is the famous classic russian plucked cake without any animal ingredients. But the vegan version is in no way inferior to its well-known relative!
Taste and Occasion
Such a vegan russian plucked cake can be really delicious. Even if the two don't seem to go together at first.
Because in the classic plucked cake are many eggs, butter, curd and milk or cream. If you want or need to avoid animal ingredients, try this alternative!
Crispy crumbles and a fluffy yeast dough with a thin layer of cream in between: The perfect, easy crumb cake from the baking sheet!
The vegan russian plucked cake is an excellent combination of chocolate and vanilla topping, crispy and crumbly base, and a deliciously creamy cheesecake mixture.
For the recipe, of course, you need a few different ingredients than usual. But none of them are really exotic and they are available in any supermarket.
Let me tell you some aspects so that the russian plucked cake goes vegan: Prepare the shortcrust pastry or kneaded dough with vegan margarine instead of butter. Shortcrust pastry is comparatively easy to veganize (see, for example, my 3-ingredient biscuits, which I do without eggs anyway).
Crucial for success here is that the fat is very, very cold. So similar to the traditional recipe. It is even more relevant for this russian plucked cake without egg and butter because margarine is softer than butter. If the dough is a bit too dry or crumbly, just add (plant) milk.
One of the best things about this cheesecake with chocolate dough for me is the cream. Preferably with lots of vanilla. Many recipes use silken tofu. I didn't want to make it quite so unusual, so I baked a vegan plucked cake with soy yogurt. Of course, also in the vanilla alternative.
The only question that remains is what binds the plucked cake cream. Because the vegan cake gets along without eggs, these are already omitted for consistency. However, you can take also pudding powder as a substitute. You know, also in the vanilla variant 😉 - and best with bourbon vanilla.
A special chocolate cake without flour, butter, eggs and industrial sugar - super delicious and suitable for vegans and allergy sufferers.
How to make the Vegan Russian Plucked Cake
Are you ready for this delicious vegan recipe? Well then, let's go!
We start with the dough: First of all, mix the dry ingredients together. Add the very cold margarine in pieces and knead everything quickly. If the dough is still too dry, add 2 or 3 tablespoons of very cold soy milk. Now, form the dough into a ball, enfold it in a plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour.
It is time to preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C. Remove three-quarters of the dough and set aside the rest for the tines. Then, flatten the removed dough into a round – best between plastic wrap, because it will be sticky). After that, line the pan with it and raise a small rim. Prick bottom several times with a fork.
Now we move on to the cream: Mix custard powder with yogurt until smooth and stir in all other ingredients as well. Then, spread the cream on the base and cover it with pastry dough.
Finally, bake the cake for about 55 minutes – cover after 40 minutes! Of course, the cream should no longer be runny, but soft is okay. It will firm up as it cools. Be sure to chill the cake well again before cutting and serving.
Instead of vanilla pudding powder, regular cornstarch works in this vegan russian plucked cake recipe, too!
Vegan Russian Plucked Cake
- Springform Pan (10 in/26 cm)
For the dough
- 300 grams (2 ½ cups) wheat flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 200 grams (1 cup) margarine, very cold, in pieces
- 70 grams (6 tablespoons) sugar
- 70 grams (6 tablespoons) cane sugar, or normal
- 4 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 pinches salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 2 tablespoons soy milk, coarse specification, cold
For the cream
- 750 grams (3 ⅓ cups) vanilla soy yogurt, or vegan "curd" cheese
- 2 packets vanilla pudding powder, or 80 grams cornstarch
- 90 grams (½ cup) sugar
- 125 grams (⅔ cup) margarine, melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla paste
- Mix all dry ingredients for the dough. Add the very cold margarine in pieces and knead everything quickly. Add 2-3 tablespoons of very cold soy milk if the dough is significantly too dry.
- Form dough into a ball, enfold in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C. Remove three-quarters of the dough; set aside the rest for the tines. Flatten removed dough into a round (best between plastic wrap, as it will be sticky.) Line pan with it and raise a small rim. Prick bottom several times with a fork.
- For the cream, mix custard powder with yogurt until smooth. Stir in all other ingredients as well. Spread the cream on the base and cover it with pastry dough.
- Bake the cake for about 55 minutes; cover after 40 minutes. Of course, the cream should no longer be runny, but soft is okay; it will firm up as it cools. Be sure to chill the cake well again before cutting.
- If you choose unsweetened yogurt as a cream for the cake, you should put more sugar and vanilla paste in it.
- And very important: Don't forget the cooling of the cake after baking!
Finally, here are a few delicious alternatives: We also like a vegan plucked cake with cherries. I recently baked it with a vegan quark alternative (soy yogurt skyr-style).
You might be interested in my other vegan baking recipes, like the delicious vegan chocolate chip cookies or these tasty vegan waffles? If you're looking for some inspiration for your next coffee date, you will love my simple vegan streusel coffee cake.
And there is nothing better than my many different cheesecakes. I love cheesecakes because they are so versatile and can be modified in many ways. There is the delicious classic one, the fruity muffin-version with tangerines and a rather fancy no-bake cheesecake with Oreos.
Soft and Fluffy Lemon Cookies
Delicious No-Bake Oreo Cheesecake
Simple Vegan Streusel Coffee Cake
Tarte au citron: French lemon tart
Then sign up for our email updates and get all new recipes in your inbox for free (you can always unsubscribe)!
The Best Cheesecake Recipe In The World
German Poppy Seed Cake with Streusel
Healthy Sugar Free Frozen Yogurt
Wonderfully moist Vegan Lemon Cake without Eggs, Butter or Milk
Apple pie with cinnamon cream: Best apple pie recipe