Although the recipe omits animal ingredients, this vegan carrot cake turns out wonderfully moist and lush. The perfect alternative to the classic carrot cake!
Carrot cake belongs to Easter like chocolate eggs and nests. So that everyone can enjoy it, today I would like to present you my newly created vegan carrot cake recipe. The result is a wonderfully moist carrot cake without egg, butter, milk and co.
Taste and Occasion
With this vegan carrot cake, I should now have a suitable recipe for every imaginable taste and diet on the blog 😉 - see the gluten-free carrot cake, the moist low-fat version, or the sugar-free alternative with apples. We particularly like the consistency of the vegan carrot cake with frosting. Lovely and moist - just the way it's supposed to be. Admittedly, making a carrot cake vegan and delicious is not that easy.
Eggs play a significant role in the classic. There can be up to 8 eggs in the dough, depending on the baking pan and recipe. Therefore, I have not even tried to replace my vegan carrot cake. You do not get far with "normal means" such as bananas or applesauce (see my baking ingredient substitutions). I did, however, want to avoid substitutes like egg replacer or chia seeds.
I have therefore used a little trick. As with this chocolate cake, i added a little fruit vinegar to the dough. In combination with baking soda, the vegan carrot cake rises beautifully. Eggs, however, are also binding agents. Therefore, their absence leads to the fact that the carrot cake without egg is a teensy bit more unstable than usual. But it does not bother at all!
How to make the Vegan Carrot Cake
Let's get started with this delicious vegan version of the classic: First of all, preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C. Grease a square baking pan (approx. 8*10 in / 20*25 cm) or a small springform pan and dust with flour. Now, mix flour, almonds, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon in a bowl and whisk wet ingredients in another bowl. Next: Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix thoroughly, but not too long, with the shredded carrots.
Then, pour dough into a pan, smooth out and bake for 35-40 minutes – cover if necessary towards the end of the baking time if the cake gets too dark. It's important, that the carrot cake has enough time to cool now. Meanwhile, mix the sifted powdered sugar with the vegan cream cheese and lemon zest for the frosting. Also, chill again briefly.
In the end, spread the frosting on the cooled cake, cut into pieces and decorate as desired with marzipan carrots, chopped pistachios or nuts. Enjoy!
Soft, summer lemon cookies: These lemon cookies literally melt in your mouth! A great treat for the whole year.
For that typical carrot cake feeling, this version also needs a frosting. The quick version is a cream cheese alternative without animal ingredients. There are, for example, alternatives on an almond basis in most supermarkets. If you have a little more time and are into clean recipes, you can also completely make the frosting yourself.
For the carrot cake is, for example, a creamy topping of cashews suitable. The result is a treat for the whole family, no matter with what decoration - or just dusted with powdered sugar!
Vegan Carrot Cake
- 1 small Baking Pan (8*10 in / 20*25 cm)
For the dough
- 200 grams (1 ⅔ cups) carrots, finely grated
- 120 grams (1 cups) flour
- 180 grams (1 ⅔ cups) ground almonds
- 170 grams (⅘ cup) brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 140 grams (⅔ cup) sunflower oil, or canola/coconut oil
- 120 grams (½ cup) oat milk, or soy/almond milk
- 1 teaspoon fruit vinegar, e.g. apple cider vinegar
For the frosting
- 100 grams (⅖ cup) vegan cream cheese, up to 150g, alternative see notes
- 70 grams (⅔ cup) powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 12 pieces marzipan carrots
- pistachio kernels, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C. Grease a square baking pan (approx. 8*10 in / 20*25 cm) or a small springform pan and dust with flour.
- Mix flour, almonds, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon in a bowl. Whisk wet ingredients in another bowl. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix thoroughly, but not too long, with the shredded carrots.
- Pour dough into a pan, smooth out and bake for 35-40 minutes. Cover if necessary towards the end of the baking time if the cake gets too dark.
- Let carrot cake cool. Meanwhile, mix the sifted powdered sugar with the vegan cream cheese and lemon zest for the frosting. Also, chill again briefly.
- Spread the frosting on the cooled cake. Cut into pieces and decorate as desired with marzipan carrots, chopped pistachios or nuts.
- The cake is a bit fluffier than regular cakes due to the lack of binder/egg. Therefore, you should well chill it before cutting and preferably store it in the refrigerator. It freezes beautifully.
- For an alternative frosting without ready-made vegan cream cheese alternatives, you can mix 100g soaked cashews with 40ml vegan milk, 50g sweetener and 20g coconut oil and some lemon zest in a food processor.
Our kids love this vegan carrot cake with mini marzipan carrots, and also the sugar-free carrot cake with apples and bananas. Sure, it looks easy and cute. You can refine the vegan carrot cake with nuts or pistachios if you like. Have fun with all my Easter recipes 🙂 - and of course, the vegan recipes, like the vegan russian plucked cake, the waffle-recipe or the chocolate chip cookies.
Vegan Chocolate Beet Cake
Sugar-free Carrot Cake
The Best Wacky Cake (Chocolate Cake)
Grandma's Easy Shortbread Biscuits