Simply delicious: This zucchini cake with hazelnuts is the perfect sweet vegetable treat! Even children will love it - and it stays fresh for a long time.
Hello dear readers,
I am sure - once you taste this zucchini cake with hazelnuts, I guarantee you you will become a veggie lover! Because the combination of ingredients in this recipe results in the cake being moist (incredibly juicy!) and, at the same time, tasting slightly like caramel.
So lets get started!
Taste and Occasion
I guess what most people love about this cake is that even though it contains veggies, you barely taste them: I recently baked the zucchini and hazelnut cake for the summer party at our kindergarten.
And this cake was actually the first one that was gone! Which, I have to admit, I didn't expect. Because the zucchini cake with oil looks rather unspectacular, not at all flashy and exciting.
But apparently, the little ones have intuitively decided for the good inner values 😉 . And thus for a delicious portion of vitamins. Of course, you can't exactly say that the zucchini cake is healthy. (If you care, you should take a look at my low-calorie zucchini cake without sugar).
But because of the vegetables and the nuts, it is still a bit healthier than regular sponge cakes.
Does it sound strange to you to bake sweet pastries with zucchini? But it is not at all. This cake is practically the counterpart to the classic carrot cake.
Both types of vegetables taste quite subtle - and are therefore perfect for pimping stir-fry recipes. And to cheer children with vegetables 😉 .
The grated zucchini in the dough keep it fresh for a long time. The nut cake can, therefore, be baked quickly 1-2 days in advance and is still convincing all along the line.
How to make the Zucchini Nut Cake
To get started, grease a large box mould and dust with flour or ground nuts. Once you're done with this, you can preheat the oven to 380°F / 180°C top and bottom heat. Wash, peel and finely grate the zucchini and squeeze out the excess water.
As a next step, beat the eggs with the zucchini for a few minutes until very foamy. Then stir in the oil.
Mix flour, nuts, baking powder, cinnamon, and vanilla. Then stir in those ingredients as well. Finally, fold in the zucchini rasp.
After you have done those steps, fill the dough into the tin, and smooth it down. Bake the cake for around 50-55 minutes.
After that, leave the cake in the tin to cool down, then turn it out. Dust with icing sugar or cover with liquid cake glaze or melted chocolate coating. Decorate with chopped nuts.
Zucchini Cake with Nuts
For the dough
- 300 grams Zucchini
- 4 eggs medium-sized
- 190 grams brown sugar or coconut/full cane sugar
- 125 milliliters sunflower oil
- 250 grams wheat flour
- 150 grams ground hazelnuts
- 1 bag baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 piece vanilla pod of which the pulp
For the optional decoration
- 150 grams chocolate icing or couverture
- chopped hazelnuts
- Grease a large box mold and dust with flour or ground nuts. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees top and bottom heat. Wash, peel and finely grate the zucchini and squeeze out the excess water.
- Beat the eggs with the zucchini for a few minutes until very foamy. Stir in the oil. Mix flour, nuts, baking powder, cinnamon, and vanilla. Also stir those in. Finally fold in the zucchini rasp.
- Fill the dough into the form and smooth it down. Bake the cake for about 50-55 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin, then turn out. Dust with icing sugar or cover with liquid cake glaze or melted chocolate coating. Decorate with chopped nuts.
There are also various alternatives to the recipe: for a zucchini and nut cake without flour, it is easy to use more nuts. However, the extra fat should make the result incredibly moist and, therefore, a little more unstable.
If the zucchini cake is to be low carb, use xylitol or erythritol instead of sugar. We prefer the basic version of the hazelnut zucchini cake. Fantastic use of vegetables!