Vegetables in the dough make this zucchini nut cake super moist. For us, the best zucchini cake with hazelnuts that stays fresh very long.
Anyone who tries this zucchini cake with hazelnuts is guaranteed to become a veggie lover! The ingredient combination in this recipe results in a zucchini nut cake that is moist (incredibly moist!) and, at the same time, tastes very slightly of caramel.
Taste and Occasion
Simply delicious: this zucchini cake with hazelnuts is the perfect sweet vegetable treat! Even convinces children! Another advantage is that shredded vegetables in the dough keep the cake fresh for a long time. You can bake this nut cake 1-2 days in advance, and it will still satisfy all along the line.
I recently made the zucchini hazelnut cake for the summer party at our kids' kindergarten. It was actually the very first thing to go! Which I, admittedly, didn't expect. Because the zucchini cake with oil looks rather unimpressive and not exciting.
But apparently, the little ones have intuitively decided on the good inner values 😉 . And thus for a delicious portion of vitamins. Sure, you cannot precisely say that the zucchini cake is healthy. (If that's important to you, you should look at my healthier recipes on the blog, or, for example, my sugarfree creations). But the vegetables and nuts still make this cake a bit healthier than regular ones.
How to make the Zucchini Nut Cake
At the beginning, grease a large loaf pan and dust it with flour or ground nuts. Preheat the oven to 360°F/180°C, wash and peel the zucchini, grate finely and squeeze out the excess water.
Now, beat the eggs with the sugar for a few minutes until very foamy and stir in the oil. Then, mix flour, nuts, baking powder, cinnamon, and vanilla and stir in as well. Finally, fold in the zucchini shavings.
Very quick, easy recipe for a moist nut cake without eggs, butter or milk. Delicious!
Continue with pouring the dough into the pan and smoothing it out. Bake the cake for about 50-55 minutes and let it cool in the pan. Then turn out. Dust with powdered sugar or frost with liquid cake glaze or melted chocolate glaze. In the end, decorate with chopped nuts.
Does it sound strange to you to bake sweet pastries with zucchini? But it is not at all. The easy zucchini cake is basically the counterpart to the classic carrot cake. After all, both vegetables taste quite subtle - making them perfect for spicing up cake recipes. And to convince children of vegetables 😉 .
Zucchini Nut Cake
- 1 Loaf Pan (12 in / 30 cm)
For the dough
- 300 grams (2 ⅖ cups) zucchini
- 4 eggs, medium
- 190 grams (1 cup) brown sugar, or coconut/cane sugar
- 125 milliliters (8 ½ tablespoons) sunflower oil
- 250 grams (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 150 grams (1 ⅓ cups) ground hazelnuts
- 1 small bag baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 piece vanilla pod, the pulp
For the optional decoration
- 150 grams (¾ cup) chocolate icing, or chocolate coating
- hazelnuts, chopped
- Grease a large loaf pan and dust it with flour or ground nuts. Preheat the oven to 360°F/180°C. Wash and peel the zucchini, grate finely and squeeze out the excess water.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar for a few minutes until very foamy. Stir in the oil. Mix flour, nuts, baking powder, cinnamon, and vanilla. Stir in as well. Finally, fold in the zucchini shavings.
- Pour the dough into the pan and smooth it out. Bake the cake for about 50-55 minutes. Let cool in the pan, then turn out. Dust with powdered sugar or frost with liquid cake glaze or melted chocolate glaze. Decorate with chopped nuts.
In addition, various recipe alternatives are possible: for a zucchini nut cake without flour, simply use more nuts. However, the result is likely highly moist due to the extra fat, which may make it more unstable. If you want the zucchini cake to be low carb, take xylitol or erythritol instead of sugar. We like the basic version of the hazelnut zucchini cake best. It's a wonderful use of vegetables!
Leave a Reply