A juicy carrot cake belongs to every Easter celebration. The whole family loves this delicious gluten-free carrot cake without flour!
Whether you call them carrot cake or turnip cake: cakes with carrots belong to the absolute Easter classics, not only in my family. I have been baking this extremely moist carrot cake without flour for years - sometimes in a springform pan, sometimes on a baking sheet.
Taste and Occasion
If it were up to my husband, I'd have to make the carrot cake every week. But as it is with "seasonal" delicacies: Only if you do not have them constantly, they keep their charm 😉 .
Accordingly, we make the juicy carrot cake with oil especially in the Easter season. The fact that you can decorate the carrot cake with cream cheese cream (for example, this one) or with plain lemon icing, with marzipan cover or just powdered sugar, it always tastes a little different.
It can also be varied well in terms of dough ingredients. The basic recipe is a carrot cake without flour; almonds and nuts are used instead. However, if you like, you can replace some of them - about 100 grams - with flour.
On the other hand, the recipe can easily become a low carb carrot cake without flour and sugar if you use xylitol and/or erythritol to sweeten it.
A tip to all parents who have little vegetable naggers at home: Carrot cake is the best place to hide vitamins. Our little ones usually meticulously sort out anything that looks like a vegetable - even if it's a paper-thin stick. With the carrot cake, however, this is not the case 😉 .
Of course, the juicy carrot cake is still not super healthy - but always better than many sweets. By the way, even more suitable for children is this low-fat pineapple carrot cake without nuts, which becomes particularly fruity. And also lower in fat.
How to make the Gluten-free Carrot Cake
Let's get started with this delicious recipe: First of all, preheat the oven, grease the baking pan and sprinkle it with flour or breadcrumbs. Then, wash, peel and finely grate the carrots.
You mix the grated carrots, grated orange peel, grated almonds, ground hazelnuts and baking powder together. Separate the eggs and beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until everything is stiff. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until they get foamy.
Then, stir in lemon juice, oil and the carrot mixture. Carefully fold in the beaten egg whites so that the mixture still remains airy.
For the last step, pour the batter into the springform pan. Bake at 347°F/175°C for about 50 minutes. Let the carrot cake cool down and decorate it as you like.
Deliciously moist but without animal ingredients: This vegan carrot cake without egg, butter and milk is in no way inferior to the classic!
You can cover it with a layer of marzipan (maybe even green) or cover it with lemon icing. Finish with marzipan carrots.
The carrot cake can be frozen very well and defrosted again at room temperature. But is that even necessary?
I recommend you to bake a little more carrot cake than necessary. Or hide a few pieces well! Otherwise, there may be nothing left for you in the end 🙂 …
Moist Gluten-free Carrot Cake
- 1 springform pan (10 inches/26 cm)
For the dough
- 450 grams carrots , weighed with peel etc.
- 1 teaspoon orange peel, grated
- 250 grams ground almonds, ; alternatively 150g almonds plus 100g flour
- 200 grams hazelnuts ground
- 6 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 220 grams sugar , preferably brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice , or orange juice
- 50 milliliters oil, neutral
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For the decoration
- 200 grams powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice , to mix with the powdered sugar
- marzipan carrots , for decorating
- Preheat the oven and grease the pan and sprinkle with flour or breadcrumbs. Wash, peel and finely grate the carrots. Mix the grated carrots, grated orange peel, grated almonds, ground hazelnuts and baking powder.
- Separate the eggs. Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until foamy. Stir in the lemon juice, oil and the carrot mixture. Carefully fold in the beaten egg whites so that the mixture still remains airy.
- Pour the batter into the springform pan. Bake at 347°F/175°C for about 50 minutes.
- Let the carrot cake cool down and decorate it as you like. You can cover it with a layer of marzipan (maybe even green) or cover it with lemon icing. Finish with marzipan carrots.
By the way: If you are looking for more delicious cake recipes with vegetables, I can recommend the delicious sugar-free carrot cake with apples and bananas, or my sweet zucchini nut cake with hazelnuts!
German Christmas Stollen (Christstollen)
Spanish Almond Cake
Easy & Moist Coconut Macaroons
Low-Fat Sugar-Free Lemon Cake
Leave a Reply