For this gluten-free lemon cake with almonds, the description "moist" is actually not enough. In fact, is really extremely moist and still slightly moist inside. Just the way I love sponge cake!
Today we solve a big problem I have so far. I have been somewhat disappointed by a lot of gluten-free recipes so far. For one reason, because they are often slightly dry. If you feel the same, this cake might be a complete relief.
This cake is a blessing not only for people that have to eat gluten-free but also for anyone else.
Lets get into it!
This quick apple pie without flour and sugar consists of only 4 ingredients and is quickly mixed. For all who look for a delicious gluten-free Low Carb apple pie.
About this recipe
Actually, this almond and lemon cake is more of a sponge cake. The foundation is a very foamy egg mass. Similar to the Viennese sponge cake, it is additionally refined with melted butter. This makes the almond cake easy to make and absolutely amazing in terms of consistency.
I was inspired for this creation by two older recipes: the Mallorcan almond cake and the low carb apple cake.
Taste and Occasion
For me, this natural and moist almond cake already heralds springtime in culinary terms, just like lemon curd or tarte au citron. The cake tastes rather discreetly of lemon.
If you like it more intensely, you can use twice the amount of abrasive. Essential for the almond cake recipe with ground almonds is that you use the blanched alternative. This way, the result is outstanding (and optically the nicest).
This delicious German butter cake with almonds is a popular sheet cake classic without much effort. The cream icing makes it exceptionally moist.
Lemon and Almonds are the two main ingredients that are responsible for the taste of the cake. As you know already, the cake does not contain flour. So we substitute the flour with a mixture of eggs, butter, sugar, and almonds.
From the lemon, we use both the juice and the zest, to make the taste really natural. If you like it more intense, you can use double the amount of zest you put into the cake.
How to make the Lemon-Almond Cake
Start by preheating your oven to 350°F / 175°C top and bottom heat.
Then we'll work on the dough. Grease a small springform pan and sprinkle with almonds. Separate the eggs. Take a large bowl and beat 100 grams of the sugar with the egg yolks until very frothy.
Beat the beaten egg whites with the remaining sugar until stiff.
Stir the liquid butter, lemon zest, and lemon juice into the egg mixture. Mix the almonds with the baking powder and also carefully stir in; finally fold in the beaten egg white.
Once the dough is ready, you can fill it into the prepared form and smooth it down. Spread almond flakes on the dough.
Bake the cake for about 35 minutes. If necessary, cover with foil after half of the time so that it does not get too dark. Dust the finished cake with icing sugar as desired.
Theoretically, it is a cake that lasts for a long time. So you can bake the gluten-free lemon cake very well the day before or even two days in advance. In practice, it probably looks rather different. I had to be careful not to eat the lemon-almond cake without flour directly lukewarm completely 😉
Gluten-Free Lemon Cake with Almonds
For the dough
- 4 eggs, medium sized
- 120 grams (0.6 cups) sugar
- 90 grams (0.4 cups) butter, melted
- 220 grams (2 cups) ground almonds, blanched
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 lemon, of which juice and grated
- 60 grams (0.4 cups) almonds, sliced
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees top and bottom heat. Grease a small springform pan and sprinkle with almonds. Separate the eggs. Beat 100 grams of the sugar with the egg yolks until very frothy. Beat the beaten egg whites with the remaining sugar until stiff.
- Stir the liquid butter, lemon zest, and lemon juice into the egg mixture. Mix the almonds with the baking powder and also carefully stir in; finally fold in the beaten egg white.
- Fill the dough into the prepared form and smooth it down. Spread almond flakes on the dough. Bake the cake for about 35 minutes, if necessary cover with foil after half of the time so that it does not get too dark. Dust the finished cake with icing sugar as desired.
- The cake tastes rather discreetly of lemon. If you like it more intensely, you can use double the amount of abrasive.
- The almond sponge cake is also delicious with additional fruit like cherries or apples.
- For a low carb almond and lemon cake, it is easy to replace the sugar with erythritol or xylitol.
The almond biscuit is very versatile. It also tastes delicious with fruit. A particularly delicious combination: cake with ground almonds and cherries. Or apples.
For a low carb almond and lemon cake, you can easily replace the sugar with erythritol or xylitol.
Moist Gluten-free Carrot Cake
Rhubarb Cake with Meringue Topping
Low-Fat Sugar-Free Lemon Cake
Moist lemon poppy seed cake