How to make healthy homemade Nutella - vegan, sugar-free and low carb. Individual and delicious, perfect as a spread or for baking.
Hello everyone! Fancy some healthy homemade Nutella?
In this post, I'll show you an easy and quick Nutella recipe. And not just any recipe. But for a chocolate spread even healthier with creativity plus. No matter whether it should be low carb, sugar-free or vegan: everything is possible! With this recipe, the delicious nut nougat cream is effortless to prepare.
Taste and Occasion
There should be hardly anyone who does not like the chocolate spread. No wonder: store-bought nut nougat cream consists of two-thirds sugar and one-third fat. That's why it tastes so many people 😉 . The exact ingredients of the original are sugar, vegetable fat, hazelnuts (13%), low-fat cocoa, skimmed milk powder (7.5%), an emulsifier and vanillin.
Of course, you could basically make your own Nutella recipe from these ingredients. Or - like me - you can develop a homemade healthy Nutella alternative. Delicious! Better! With this hazelnut chocolate cream, you have control over the composition and the origin of the ingredients. So you can easily create an alternative with organic or fair trade products. And of course, it is always Nutella without palm oil.
You can interpret the term "healthy" narrowly or broadly as you like. My basic recipe is homemade Nutella without milk, butter and more. This makes it a lactose-free, vegan Nutella. Not a 1:1-copy of Nutella, but great for nut allergy sufferers: Nutella without nuts; I replaced the hazelnuts with roasted almonds, which many allergy sufferers can tolerate. Cashews and macadamia are also possible.
If you like, you can use the recipe to make homemade Nutella without sugar (either completely pure, which is very tart - or at least without refined sugar). As a sweetener for the spread, coconut blossom sugar, for example, is possible. With erythritol or xylitol it becomes a low carb Nutella in no time. The other ingredients, such as most nuts, are low in carbohydrates anyway.
The basis for the homemade nut nougat cream is oven-roasted nuts or almonds, which are ground to a fine paste in a powerful chopper or food processor.
How to make the Healthy Nutella
My homemade Nutella recipe is pretty easy. Let's begin with preheating the oven to 340°F/170°C. Then, put the nuts or almonds on a baking sheet covered with baking paper and roast for about 8 to 10 minutes. Attention: Be careful towards the end, the nuts can quickly turn black!
Now it's time to place roasted nuts in a good food processor or kitchen chopper and grind very finely to a paste. Add all other ingredients and blend or puree together.
In the and, pour chocolate nut cream into prepared clean jars with lids and store in the refrigerator. Enjoy as a spread or a baking ingredient.
Since I wrote these Nutella instructions in 2014 on my german blog, thousands of readers have already imitated the chocolate nut cream. Since some questions come up again and again, I have summarized the most essential answers once:
How can you make Nutella yourself?
Can you make Nutella vegan, sugar-free, low calorie or low carb?
How do you make creamy Nutella from nuts?
Can I also use already ground nuts?
How long is homemade Nutella durable?
Healthy Homemade Nutella
- 400 grams (3 ⅓ cups) hazelnuts, or almonds, cashews, etc.
- 2 pinches salt
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil, or other neutral variety
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- ½ teaspoon vanilla pulp, optional
- 6 tablespoons sweetener, coarse specification! e.g. powdered sugar or xylitol
- Preheat oven to 340°F/170°C. Put the nuts or almonds on a baking sheet covered with baking paper and roast for about 8 to 10 minutes. Be careful towards the end, the nuts can quickly turn black!
- Place roasted nuts in a good food processor or kitchen chopper and grind very finely to a paste. Add all other ingredients and blend or puree together.
- Pour chocolate nut cream into prepared clean jars with lids and store in the refrigerator.
- My Nutella recipe is easy and sure to succeed. However, I often receive inquiries about it. Please read the post, recipe and FAQ again if you have any difficulties in preparing it.
- The specifications for sweetness, cocoa and oil are rough guidelines that can be changed according to the individual taste. Especially with the oil, it also hits the spot; nuts are natural products and always a little different. Add both little by little!
- If you use granular sweeteners such as sugar, dissolve them in a small amount of liquid beforehand. You can use powdered sugar, date sweetener, or similar directly.
- The Nutella becomes nutty and aromatic. If you like it more chocolatey, stir in 50g of melted, slightly cooled chocolate. Then you need less cocoa and sweetener. The cream becomes quite firm in the refrigerator.
The recipe can be varied as desired. For a basic variant is suitable v.a. vanilla. A slightly different chocolate spread is obtained by spices such as cinnamon. If you like it more chocolatey, you can stir in 50 g of melted couverture (vegan, sugar-free, normal). Preparing the healthy nut nougat cream is an experience itself. How delicious it smells! Smell and, of course, the taste makes it worth making it yourself and buying a powerful food processor.
By the way: The chocolate spread does not only taste great straight from the jar. You can use the Nutella recipe for baking. The cream also makes a good topping for crêpes, pancakes or waffles 😉. Have fun trying it out!
Leave a Reply