With this easy basic pancake recipe, your pancakes become fluffy and soft. Super tasty, super easy and quick to make!
Hello there, pancake-lovers!
Want some inspiration on what to serve at your next breakfast or brunch? Then, keep on reading, because this is how to make your pancakes perfect: a good basic recipe and lots of tips!
Taste and Occasion
These are the best pancakes. Honestly, they are perfect. And just as pancakes should be: really nice and thick and fluffy, yet only slightly sweet. You enjoy the pancakes later with plenty of syrup 😉.
In this post, I show you not only my easy pancake recipe for the whole family. But also give many tips on how to make the pancakes fluffy and perfect. I have tested many different alternatives; most recipes have differed only in details. Sometimes there were quite a few eggs in the dough, sometimes buttermilk or even ricotta instead of cow's milk, sometimes only baking powder without baking soda, sometimes also liquid butter or oil.
My pancake dough is super easy. It is based on absolute basic ingredients that you always have at home anyway. Conclusion: little effort, little time, but a lot of pleasure! And for more variety, you can always vary the basic pancake recipe. So the Sunday breakfast is not dull, I guarantee!
The difference between the German Pfannkuchen and the pancakes I share with you today is mainly the consistency. To get this as "perfect" as possible, I make the pancakes with buttermilk and yogurt. This combination makes the pancakes fluffy. Like Kaiserschmarrn. Instead of yogurt, you can use curd. In both cases, you should definitely add baking soda to the dough in addition to baking powder.
Attention: The dough is quite thick and tough, but this is how it should be! Be sure to mix the dry and wet ingredients (as with muffins) only briefly. The pancake batter should rest for at least 10 minutes before baking, as with crêpes.
How To Make Easy Basic Pancakes
First things first: Melt the butter. Then, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in a bowl. After that, beat the eggs until frothy and stir in buttermilk and yogurt. Add the flour mixture and lastly the slightly cooled melted butter as well. Mix everything together briefly and let the dough rest for about 15 minutes.
The cream instead of butter in the dough makes the cake particularly light, fluffy, and airy. The recipe is also suitable for lemon cakes, marble cakes, and Co.
Now it's time to bake! Heat some butter (lard) or oil in a pan. Pour a ladleful of dough into the pan and bake the pancakes on both sides over medium heat (!). Turn as soon as small bubbles form. Do the same with the rest of the dough and enjoy your pancakes.
How do you make fluffy pancakes?
What is the best way to bake pancakes?
Can the pancake batter be prepared?
Can pancakes be frozen?
What is the best way to eat your pancakes? Either just dusted with powdered sugar - or with a luscious topping. For example, caramel sauce and cookie crumbs. Fruit like blueberries or chocolate drops also go very well. Or, you can drizzle (er, just a little, of course 😉 ) the simple pancakes with classic maple syrup and add a knob of butter.
Easy Basic Pancakes
- 30 grams (2 tablespoons) butter, melted
- 2 eggs, medium
- 150 grams (1 ¼ cups) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar, or more to taste
- 150 milliliters (10 tablespoons) buttermilk
- 50 grams (2 ½ tablespoons) yogurt, or curd cheese
- clarified butter, or oil for frying
- Melt the butter. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- Beat the eggs until frothy. Stir in buttermilk and yogurt. Add the flour mixture and lastly the slightly cooled melted butter as well. Mix everything together briefly and let the dough rest for about 15 minutes.
- Heat some butter (lard) or oil in a pan. Pour a ladleful of dough into the pan and bake the pancakes on both sides over medium heat (!). Turn as soon as small bubbles form. Do the same with the rest of the dough.
- The basic recipe is enough for 2-3 people, depending on appetite.
- The pancakes taste best with maple syrup and butter, berries, chocolate sauce, cookies, powdered sugar or fruit puree.
Want more breakfast inspiration? What about my simple & classic waffles, the braided bread or the french brioche? If you want to eat a little more healthily, you might like the oatmeal pancakes without eggs, butter and sugar.
Low Carb Pancakes
Recipe for Austrian Pancakes (Kaiserschmarrn)
Easy Naan Bread
Apple Yogurt Muffins
Leave a Reply