Quickly made and really delicious: this moist banana cake is a real classic for a good reason! Children especially love the aromatic sponge cake
Who doesn't love a moist Banana Cake, truly one of the most classic cake recipes. So if you have been looking for an easy way to get there, your search has officially ended!
This vegan banana cake is the perfect cake for babies, toddlers and health-conscious adults. No sugar, butter, egg or wheat, but delicious and moist!
About this Banana Cake recipe
Even if the simple banana cake may seem a bit boring at first - it always hits the spot. And it is a perfect way to recycle old, brown bananas. Like the Banana Bread or the Chocolate Banana Bread. The foundation is a traditional simple sponge cake.
Taste and Occasion
This simple banana cake made of sponge cake is one of those delicacies that are neither fancy nor complicated, but nevertheless (probably because of this) are often and gladly baked - whether as a quick birthday cake or for a cosy coffee.
For a wonderful caramel aroma, I use brown sugar as well as white sugar. With a few additional ingredients, the basic banana cake recipe can be varied wonderfully.
Another great thing about this cake - you surely have everything you need at home to start straight away: the classic cake contains only standard baking ingredients and of course a purée of - preferably very ripe and spotty - bananas. The spottier the bananas, the tastier the cake. Simple math 😉
How to make the Banana Cake
Start by preheating the oven to 375°F / 175°C top and bottom heat. Then grease a small cake tin (a diameter of about 8 in / 20 cm) and dust with a little flour. Now cream the softened butter with the sugar for a few minutes. Stir in the eggs one by one.
As a next step, you should mash the ripe bananas into purée. You can do this either with a fork or a blender. Then stir that purée into the egg-butter cream. Next, add the flour mixed with the baking powder and salt. Stir everything. If the dough is too firm, you can add some milk.
Fill the dough into the tin, smooth it down and bake for about 45 minutes. To see if the cake is done, you can do a classic stick test. Turn out the cake and decorate with icing sugar, overture, or similar as desired.
Not much can go wrong with this recipe. What is important though is to ensure that the butter is soft and also the eggs are at room temperature. If that's the case, you're all set 😉
And if you want a bit extra spice, you can add a pinch of cinnamon to the dough. Cinnamon goes really well with bananas.
Easy and delicious Banana Cake
- 200 grams butter soft
- 120 grams brown sugar
- 4 eggs medium sized
- 250 grams bananas ripe
- 300 grams wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons milk as required
- Icing sugar or chocolate coating for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 175°C top and bottom heat. Grease a small cake tin with a diameter of about 20 cm and dust with a little flour. Cream the softened butter with the sugar for a few minutes. Stir in the eggs one by one.
- Process the ripe bananas into purée with a fork or blender. Stir into the egg-butter cream. Also add the flour mixed with the baking powder and salt. Stir everything. If the dough is too firm, add some milk.
- Fill the dough into the form, smooth it down and bake for about 45 minutes. Make a test with sticks. Turn out the cake and decorate with icing sugar, couverture or similar as desired.
For the alternatives, either add an additional 80 g of roasted, chopped nuts to the dough, or 50 g of chocolate chips or spices such as cinnamon and vanilla.
There are many ways to spice up your banana cake quickly and easily.
- For a banana-nut cake, you can add roasted hazelnuts or almonds to the dough.
- You can get a Kiba cake if you carefully fold in some drained cherries.
- Spices or chocolate drops also fit well.
- A healthier alternative would be my vegan banana cake without egg, butter, and sugar.
If you like the shape of the cake, I have a few more recommendations on our page with the best Gugelhupf recipes. The Banana Gugelhupf can also be made in a small box shape. And from experience, it is an absolute children's favorite!
The banana cake recipe is part of my classic cake series, in which you can already find the moist chocolate cake, the perfect cheesecake, and the lemon cake from the tray. Like this Banana Bundt cake, they are recipes that have what it takes to become the favorite cake for the whole family.
In this case, we personally make an exception - Jan doesn't like bananas 😉 …
Then sign up for our email updates and get all new recipes in your inbox for free (you can always unsubscribe)!