Easy, quick savory cheese muffins that are great for the whole family - whether for brunch, dinner or picnic.
Homemade bread is lovely, but sometimes you can have a little variety for dinner - for example, in the form of these hearty cheese muffins. We love them! And of course, the fact that the recipe is so simple makes me even happier.
Taste and Occasion
The cheese muffins are spicy, aromatic and full of delicious herbs. I tested various ingredients (combinations) to present you the best savory muffin recipe with cheese. One alternative consisted of a classic cake batter, the same as cupcakes (with salt instead of sugar, of course). Tasted good, but not outstanding. The other alternative was a typical muffin batter: much better! This preparation results in savory cheese muffins that are both moist and fluffy.
Why? For one thing, of course, it's the ingredients of the cheese muffins. I use baking soda as well as baking powder. Please don't skip that! If you use baking soda together with something sour like buttermilk and yogurt, the dough becomes tremendously fluffy. Also, there is oil instead of butter in the recipe for the savory muffins with cheese.
Depending on the type of cheese you use, the taste will, of course, be more substantial or milder. Practical tip: I usually use the cheese that is just at home 😉 . If I go shopping for the recipe, I make the cheese muffins with grated Gouda, Edam cheese or mozzarella. Or a mix of everything. This is especially tasty for kids. For adults, I recommend something with more flavor: mountain cheese, for example. In our case, the cheese muffins are vegetarian. But of course, the recipe is also suitable for spicing up with ham.
How to make the Savory Cheese Muffins
First things first: Preheat the oven to 360°F/180°C. Beat the eggs with the yogurt, then add the oil and buttermilk. Then, mix the dry ingredients in a second bowl. Now, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix briefly and vigorously. If the dough is too firm, use a little more milk. Fold the cheese into the dough.
After that, pour the dough into 12-15 silicone molds and place them in a muffin tray. You can also grease the muffin tray well and pour dough directly into the cups. Bake muffins for about 22-24 minutes and cover toward the end if necessary.
Hearty muffins to go are highly variable and always hit the spot: These easy pizza cupcakes with veggies, ham and cheese are a great party snack for kids and adults.
In the end: Let them cool slightly, remove them from the ramekins or pan and brush them thinly with melted herb butter. Delicious!
The highlight of the quick cheese muffins: I brush them very thinly with melted herb butter after baking. Tastes sooo good!
Savory Cheese Muffins
For the dough
- 260 grams (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, medium
- 160 milliliters (¾ cups) buttermilk, coarse
- 50 grams (2 ½ tablespoons) yogurt, or sour cream
- 70 grams (⅓ cup) sunflower oil, or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons herbs, see notes
- 160 grams (1 ⅖ cups) grated cheese, see notes
- 30 grams (2 tablespoons) herb butter, for spreading
- Preheat the oven to 360°F/180°C. Beat the eggs with the yogurt, then add the oil and buttermilk. Mix the dry ingredients in a second bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix briefly and vigorously. If the dough is too firm, use a little more milk. Fold the cheese into the dough.
- Pour the dough into 12-15 silicone molds and place them in a muffin tray. Alternatively, grease the muffin tray well and pour dough directly into the cups. Bake muffins for about 22-24 minutes; cover toward the end if necessary.
- Let cool slightly, remove from ramekins or pan and brush thinly with melted herb butter.
- Depending on which cheese you use, the muffins will be mild (e.g. for children) or spicy. For example, grated Gouda, mountain cheese, pizza cheese mix or Edam are suitable.
- Whether dried, frozen, or finely chopped fresh, the herbs can be chosen at will.
Paper molds are less suitable because the dough may stick.
Do you now have an appetite for moist, savory muffins with cheese? Then get started right away! By the way: You'll find lots more ideas in our snack category. And if you're in the mood for more savory recipes, check out the cream puffs, the spinach-feta-puffs or my delicious focaccia.
Leave a Reply